Berlusconi’s will divides €5 billion as oldest children get media empire

Berlusconi’s Will Divides €5 Billion As Oldest Children Get Media Empire
Silvio Berlusconi
Share this article

By Colleen Barry, Associated Press

Silvio Berlusconi left control of his media empire to his two oldest children, according to details of his will reported by Italian media.

He also bequeathed €100 million of his estimated €5 billion fortune each to his companion and his brother.


The Fininvest holding company controlling the Mediaset television network, Mondadori publishing house and other assets said in a statement “no shareholder will exercise overall individual direct control of Fininvest SpA” as Mr Berlusconi had.

The three-time former Italian premier and media mogul died on June 12th aged 86 after being admitted to hospital for treatment for chronic leukaemia.

His will was read out in the presence of his five children and other witnesses on Tuesday.

The coffin of media mogul and former Italian premier Silvio Berlusconi leaves the Milan’s Gothic Cathedral at the end his state funeral
The coffin of media mogul and former Italian premier Silvio Berlusconi leaves the Milan’s Gothic Cathedral at the end his state funeral (Luca Bruno/AP)

With the shares inherited from their father, Marina and Pier Silvio Berlusconi control 53 per cent of Fininvest.

Mr Berlusconi’s fortune was estimated at €5 billion, including publicly traded Fininvest, which is valued at €2.8 billion, real estate holdings worth around €700 million, stocks, artworks and cash, according to the news agency ANSA.

Mr Berlusconi also left 60 per cent of his nonbusiness wealth to Marina and Pier Silvio, his two oldest children from his first marriage, while the youngest three children from a second marriage, Barbara, Eleonora and Luigi, split the remaining 40 per cent.


The twice-divorced Mr Berlusconi also left €100 million to his 33-year-old companion, Marta Fascia, and an equal sum to his brother Paolo.

He also left €30 million to one of his oldest friends and a former senator from his party, Marcello Dell’Utri, who had been convicted of Mafia association.

Flowers and a note reading
Flowers and a note reading “Thank you Silvio” are laid in front of Mr Berlusconi’s home near Milan after his death (Claudio Furlan/LaPresse/AP)


The court said he had acted as a mediator between Mr Berlusconi and a top crime boss in charges dating to a period before Mr Berlusconi took office.

According to a copy of the will published by Italian media outlets, Mr Berlusconi decided in 2006 how his business holdings would be divided.

He added the bequeathal to his brother in 2020 and those to Fascia and Dell’Ultri in January, when he was admitted to hospital for tests.

Read More

Message submitting... Thank you for waiting.

Want us to email you top stories each lunch time?

Download our Apps
© 2024, developed by Square1 and powered by