Teenager pleads guilty to mugging English tourist in Dublin

Teenager Pleads Guilty To Mugging English Tourist In Dublin
The 17-year-old pleaded guilty to violent disorder and robbery at Dublin Children's Court on Tuesday.
Share this article

Tom Tuite

A teenage boy has pleaded guilty to his role in a violent mugging of an English tourist who was set upon and beaten in Dublin's Temple Bar in August.

Three men in their 20s were taken to St James's Hospital after an incident at Fownes Street Upper at about 10pm on August 11th.


Two of the men were members of an amateur soccer club who came to Dublin for a friendly match against a local side.

The boy (17), who had developed a drug problem, was accused of violent disorder and robbing one of the men of his wallet and contents worth about €30.

The accused, who cannot be named due to his age, pleaded guilty at the Dublin Children's Court on Tuesday.

He has also admitted robbing a teenage boy on August 17th, taking the victim's €150 earphones and runners worth €120, at Curved Street, also in Temple Bar. The court heard this incident occurred while the accused was on bail for the previous matter.


Judge Brendan Toale adjourned sentencing the teen, who remains in custody on remand, until next week. He also referred his case to the Probation Service for a report on the boy.

Gardaí are to ask the injured man whether he wishes to provide a victim impact statement to the court.

The Director of Public Prosecutions had recommended sending the teen's case forward to the Circuit Court, which has broader sentencing powers.

However, defence counsel Doireann McDonagh successfully pleaded for the case to stay in the Children's Court.



Garda David Dolan told Judge Toale the victim was with friends on Fownes Street Upper when "he received a punch from a male, which was followed up by a punch from a separate male to his face".

The court heard the defendant was the person who delivered the second blow and rummaged in the man's pockets when he was "forced to the ground".

Garda Dolan said another male kicked the victim's head while he was on the ground, as the teen continued to go through the man's pockets.

The boy removed the victim's wallet, containing his bank card, and went to a shop but was unable to make a payment for a chocolate bar because he was asked for the PIN.


CCTV evidence was also shown in court.

The victim was taken to St James's Hospital but left before getting treatment.

Garda Dolan said he saw the man the next day, and his face was bruised and swollen. The Garda added that he later updated the officer to tell him he had suffered a broken nose. However, gardaí had not been provided with a medical report.

Garda Dolan agreed with Ms McDonagh that her client was not the instigator or main aggressor, confirming the accused hit the victim once.


The Garda said the teenager was polite when questioned and identified himself in the video evidence. But at that stage, gardaí had yet to gather all the video footage, and the teen initially claimed "he did not assault anybody," the court heard.

Counsel said the accused has no prior criminal convictions, but had the Probation Act applied regarding a previous incident, sparing him a criminal record.

Ms McDonagh confirmed he is now making full admissions to his involvement in the incident on Fownes Street Upper.

She said the teen had a diagnosis for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and the incident had happened during a three-week period where he had developed a "severe dependency on pills".

The boy, accompanied to court by his mother, remained silent during the proceedings and was described by counsel as "genuinely remorseful".

Two other youths are still before the courts on connected charges.

Read More

Message submitting... Thank you for waiting.

Want us to email you top stories each lunch time?

Download our Apps
© BreakingNews.ie 2024, developed by Square1 and powered by PublisherPlus.com