Donegal and Roscommon to meet in Nicky Rackard Final

Goals were key for both Donegal and Roscommon as they booked a meeting in the Nicky Rackard Cup final at Croke Park in a fortnight's time, following semi-final wins this afternoon.

Lee Henderson was Donegal's hero as they claimed a 5-12 to 2-9 win over Monaghan at O'Donnell Park, Letterkenny.

Out through injury in recent weeks, the Sean Mac Cumhaills clubman laid down a firm marker for a starting berth in the final, bagging 2-3 as a second-half substitute.

Despite 12 points separating the sides at the full-time whistle, this was far from plain sailing for Donegal, who had to dig deep in the closing 35 minutes to carve out victory.

Monaghan started brightly and led by 2-5 to 1-5 at half-time, with the Farney County's opening score, a goal inside the opening nine minutes.

Brian McGuigan added Monaghan's second goal approaching the break, while Mickey McHugh was also central to his side holding a three-point interval lead.

However, Donegal worked hard and with Henderson in spritely form they turned the tide.

Monaghan just scored four second half points, with Henderson on fire, as Donegal booked a place in their first Nicky Rackard Final since 2006.

Donegal will meet Roscommon in the decider, after the Connacht side showed no mercy in their 3-28 to 0-14 win over Tyrone at Athleague.

Jerry Fallon top-scored with 1-13 for the hosts, in a game which Roscommon led from the off.

Gary Fallon smashing the ball to the back of the Tyrone net for the first time in the opening minute, laying down a firm signal of intent that Seamus Qualter's side meant business.

Roscommon led by 2-13 to 0-9 at half-time, with Gary and Robbie Fallon netting the hosts goals.

Damian Casey done his utmost to keep Tyrone in touch, but Jerry's 44th minute penalty goal ensured there was no Red Hand comeback.

  • Click to stay connected with more stories like this
  • Sign up here to receive news by email. Once per day, no spam.

Most Read in Sport