Probe into 'child trapped in ambulance' incident

File photo

Dublin Fire Brigade has said it is investigating an incident in which a sick child became trapped in an ambulance on St Patrick's Day.

The ambulance was taking the child - who was suffering anaphylactic shock - to Temple Street Children's Hospital when its power failed and all of its doors were automatically locked.

A fire engine was sent to try to free the child, parent and the crew - but in the end, a paramedic on board was forced to kick out a window to escape.

The child was then safely treated in hospital before returning home.

Dublin Fire Brigade said it is taking the incident 'very seriously' and will be launching a "thorough" investigation.

The Fire Brigade said it is asking the ambulance's manufacturer what might have caused the breakdown.

It has declined to make any further comment at this stage.

  • Click to stay connected with more stories like this
  • Sign up here to receive news by email. Once per day, no spam.

Most Read in Ireland