Conflicting reports on whether loyalist flag protest will go ahead in Dublin09/01/2013 - 18:05:42
There are conflicting reports this evening on whether a planned protest march by loyalists in Dublin will go ahead.
Gardaí issued a statement to say the march - in protest at the reduction of days on which the British flag will fly over Belfast City Hall - has been postponed, while the organiser said it was still going ahead.
March organiser Willie Frazer said: "Nothing has been called off. What has happened is the gardaí have been back in touch with us and have said to us 'You are entitled to hold your protest. We would ask that you work with us and let us facilitate that'.
"We have said no problem...If you need more time and if you are happy enough to facilitate that protest, we will certainly work with you. That doesn't mean the thing has been called off."
Garda Press Office statement in full:
"Postponement of planned protest in Dublin - Saturday 12th January 2013.
"An Garda Síochána are aware of comments made to the media earlier today by Mr William Frazer in relation to the postponement of a planned protest in Dublin on Saturday 12th January 2013.
"We can confirm that senior Garda management were in communication with a representative of Mr Frazer today. These discussions were both positive and constructive.
"As previously stated An Garda Síochána facilitate peaceful protest and fully recognise the democratic right to do so. We also recognise the rights of others to go about their lawful business and the day to day needs of the business community and local residents.
"We would advise any organisation(s) who intend staging a protest or demonstration to contact An Garda Síochána in advance and the relevant local authority."
more stories like this:
- once per day, no spam.