The Scottish First Minister has said she will decide on further restrictions with her ministers following a Cobra meeting on Tuesday morning.
It comes after four chief medical officers across the UK nations decided that the Covid-19 alert level should be raised to four.
4 UK CMOs - inc @DrGregorSmith - agree raising of #Covid_19 alert level to 4. I’ll participate in COBR meeting tomorrow am, after which @scotgov Cabinet will agree measures to bring virus back under control in Scotland. I’ll then offer statement to @ScotParl tomorrow pm.
— Nicola Sturgeon (@NicolaSturgeon) September 21, 2020
Ms Sturgeon tweeted on Monday: “4 UK CMOs – inc @DrGregorSmith – agree raising of #Covid_19 alert level to 4.
“I’ll participate in COBR meeting tomorrow am, after which @scotgov Cabinet will agree measures to bring virus back under control in Scotland.
“I’ll then offer statement to @ScotParl tomorrow pm.”
The First Minister previously said coronavirus is spreading again in Scotland and “further and urgent action” is needed to stop the increase, warning if left unchecked it will lead to more cases, people in hospital and deaths.
She said the Scottish government is prepared to introduce “a package of additional measures” but will aim to avoid a full-scale lockdown such as the one imposed in March.
On Monday, restrictions were announced in Northern Ireland meaning there will be no mixing of two households indoors, except for single-person bubbles and certain other exemptions, from 6pm on Tuesday.
No more than six people from two households can meet in private gardens.
Ms Sturgeon added: “I will be clear that I am willing to allow a bit more time for four-nations discussions to take place before making final decisions for Scotland.
“But I will be equally clear that the urgency of this situation will mean that we cannot, must not and will not wait too long.”