New York governor refuses to quit over sexual harassment claims

world
Cuomo Sexual Harassment, © AP/Press Association Images
Share this article

By Marina Villeneuve, Associated Press

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has vowed to stay in office but said he has “learned an important lesson” about his behaviour around women in the wake of sexual harassment allegations.

“I now understand that I acted in a way that made people feel uncomfortable,” Mr Cuomo said at a press conference. “It was unintentional and I truly and deeply apologise for it.”

Mr Cuomo said he will “fully cooperate” with the state attorney general’s investigation into sexual harassment allegations.

Attorney General Letitia James is in the process of selecting an outside law firm to conduct an investigation into the allegations and produce a report that will be made public.

Mr Cuomo had avoided public appearances for days as some fellow Democrats call for him to resign.


Mr Cuomo has faced calls to resign (Brittainy Newman/AP)

Advertisement

Before Wednesday’s press conference, the governor last spoke to reporters during a teleconference call on February 22.

He had not spoken publicly since giving Ms James a referral to investigate claims that he sexually harassed at least two women in his administration.

One former aide, Charlotte Bennett, 25, said Mr Cuomo quizzed her about her sex life and asked whether she would be open to a relationship with an older man.

Ms Bennett rejected Mr Cuomo’s attempted apology, in which he said he had been trying to be “playful” and that his jokes had been misinterpreted as flirting.

Another former aide, Lindsey Boylan, said Mr Cuomo commented on her appearance inappropriately, kissed her without her consent at the end of a meeting, and once suggested they play strip poker while aboard his state-owned jet. Mr Cuomo has denied Ms Boylan’s allegations.

And another woman, Anna Ruch, told The New York Times that Mr Cuomo put his hands on her face and asked if he could kiss her at a September 2019 wedding.

Mr Cuomo started Wednesday’s press conference focusing on the latest data on the coronavirus pandemic.

He highlighted a disproportionately high number of hospital admissions in New York City, news that the state is receiving an initial shipment of 164,000 doses of the new one-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine and that three vaccination sites will temporarily shift to 24/7 operations.

Read More

Want us to email you top stories each lunch time?

Download our Apps
© BreakingNews.ie 2021, developed by Square1 and powered by PublisherPlus.com