Haiti’s ‘true statesman’ had vowed to bring jobs to troubled country

world
Haiti’s ‘True Statesman’ Had Vowed To Bring Jobs To Troubled Country Haiti’s ‘True Statesman’ Had Vowed To Bring Jobs To Troubled Country
Haiti’s President Jovenel Moise addresses the 73rd session of the United Nations general assembly (Richard Drew/AP), © AP/Press Association Images
Share this article

By Danica Coto and Evens Sanon, Associated Press Reporters

Haitian President Jovenel Moise, a former banana producer and political novice who ruled Haiti for more than four years as the country grew increasingly unstable under his watch, was killed on Wednesday aged 53.

Mr Moise was assassinated at his private home following “a highly coordinated attack by a highly trained and heavily armed group”, interim prime minister Claude Joseph said.

His wife, Martine Moise, was injured in the attack and remains in hospital.

“Haiti has lost a true statesman,” Mr Joseph said.

“We will ensure that those responsible for this heinous act are swiftly brought to justice.”

Mr Moise took office in February 2017, pledging to strengthen institutions, fight corruption and bring more investments and jobs to the Western hemisphere’s poorest nation.

But his administration was plagued by massive protests from the start, and critics accused him of growing increasingly authoritarian.

Advertisement


Ammunition casings lay on the ground near the entrance to the house of late Haitian President Jovenel Moise (Joseph Odelyn/AP)

Mr Moise had been ruling by decree for more than a year after Parliament was dissolved and politicians failed to organise legislative elections.

He was widely criticised for approving decrees, including one that that limited the powers of a court that audits government contracts and another that created an intelligence agency that answers only to the president.

Political and economic instability deepened in recent months, with widespread protests paralysing the country of more than 11 million people.

In addition, gangs in the capital of Port-au-Prince have grown more powerful, with more than 14,700 people driven from their homes last month alone as gangs set fire to homes and ransacked them.

In addition, 15 people were killed during a June 29 shooting rampage in the capital, including a journalist and well-known political activist.

Officials blamed a group of rogue police officers but have not provided any evidence.

Mr Moise is survived by his wife and three children.

Read More

Want us to email you top stories each lunch time?

Download our Apps
© BreakingNews.ie 2021, developed by Square1 and powered by PublisherPlus.com