Video: Hospitality curfew, Booster vaccines for over 50s, Mother and Baby redress

video-news
Share this article
Muireann Duffy

Covid restrictions

Taoiseach Micheál Martin is due to announce increase Covid measures on Tuesday, aimed at tackling rising infection rates.

A midnight curfew for pubs, restaurants and nightclubs is expected to be on the way, in addition to calls for people to work from home where possible.

Cabinet met on Tuesday afternoon to finalise the plans after receiving stark warnings from public health officials as to how the current wave of infections will impact the health service.

'Hugely disappointing development'

Hospitality representatives have called for Government supports to be issued "immediately" if the sector is to face fresh restrictions.

The Vintners Federation of Ireland (VFI) described the measures, expected to be announced on Tuesday evening, as a "hugely disappointing development".

Meanwhile, the Licensed Vintners Association (LVA) said it will be "really hard news for those working in the sector to take".

Niac advice

Advertisement

The rollout of Covid-19 booster vaccines is to be extended considerably following approval from the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (Niac).

People aged 50-59 who have received their initial doses of the vaccine, those aged 16-59 who have an underlying condition, and all long-term healthcare facility residents (regardless of age) will now be offered the additional dose.

Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly confirmed on Tuesday afternoon that Niac made the recommendation to the chief medical officer, with Dr Holohan endorsing the move.

'Mr Moonlight' murder

Patrick Quirke has lost his appeal against his conviction for murdering popular DJ Bobby 'Mr Moonlight' Ryan, whose body was found in a disused slurry tank on a farm leased by Quirke.

The Court of Appeal on Tuesday rejected more than 50 grounds of appeal argued by lawyers for Quirke during lengthy submissions late last year.

Mr Justice George Birmingham, delivering the judgement on behalf of the three-judge appeal court, said he was not persuaded by any of the arguments made on Quirke's behalf.

Quirke (51) was convicted in 2019 of the murder of Mr Ryan (52) at Fawnagowan in Co Tipperary. Mr Ryan disappeared on June 3rd, 2011 after he left his girlfriend, Mary Lowry's home early in the morning.

Mother & Baby homes redress

Survivors of mother and baby homes will be eligible for payments of up to €65,000 as part of the Government’s redress scheme.

Some 34,000 women and children who were held in the institutions over many decades will qualify for the financial payment at an estimated cost of €800 million.

Around 19,000 survivors will also qualify for an enhanced medical card under plans signed off by Cabinet on Tuesday.

Read More

Want us to email you top stories each lunch time?

Download our Apps
© BreakingNews.ie 2021, developed by Square1 and powered by PublisherPlus.com