Video: Fishermen to protest Russian navy drill, Lisa Smith trial, Bloody Sunday

video-news
Share this article

Warning over Russian missile tests prompts Irish fishermen plan to ‘be there first’

The Department of Transport has released an official warning over “live fire” Russian navy exercises set to take place off the southwest Irish coast in February, with some fishermen indicating they intend to disregard the caution.

In a marine notice to shipowners and all seafarers, the Department cautioned of “serious safety risks” posed by the exercises involving the launching of rockets.

Fisherman have criticised the notice and indicated plans to disregard the warning, with the chief executive of the Irish South and West Fish Producers Organisation saying Irish fishermen “will be there first next week.”

“The Department of Transport has been advised by the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) that the Russian Federation will carry out manoeuvres off the southwest coast of Ireland from 03 February 2022 to 08 February 2022 inclusive,” the Department said in the notice.

Lisa Smith tried to justify suicide bombings, trial told

Advertisement

Former Defence Forces soldier Lisa Smith was interested in the “harsh end of Islam” and tried to justify suicide bombs, the Special Criminal Court has heard.

The 39-year-old, from Co Louth, has pleaded not guilty to charges of membership of the illegal organisation Islamic State (Isis) and of providing funds to benefit the group.

On the second day of her trial, the court heard Smith frequently discussed jihad and was “justifying why suicide bombs were happening”, giving the view that “we were being attacked, so we were attacking back”.

Giving evidence on Wednesday, Carol “Karimah” Duffy, of the Dundalk Muslim Community Mosque, told the court she had been called on to speak with Smith after her decision to convert to Islam.

Ms Duffy, who had known Smith since childhood, said she warned her becoming a Muslim is “very hard”, that it would be difficult to explain to her family, and she would suffer abuse for converting.

Man appears in court charged with deception over Carlow post office incident

A 40-year-old man has appeared before Kilkenny District Court charged with two counts of deception.

Declan Haughney of Pollerton Road, Carlow was arrested on Wedneday and charged in relation to an incident in Carlow town last Friday in which a dead man was brought into a post office.

Advertisement

It is alleged that the body of Peader Doyle (66) was brought to Hosey’s post office and an attempt was made to claim the dead man’s pension.

No application was made for bail, according to the Irish Examiner.

Judge Geraldine Carthy remanded the defandant in custody to appear before Carlow District Court on February 2nd.

Bloody Sunday memorial

President Michael D Higgins, Taoiseach Micheál Martin and former British Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn will feature in a programme of events to mark the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday.

A series of events will take place over the weekend in Derry to mark the anniversary of the date when 13 civil rights protesters were shot dead by British soldiers on January 30th, 1972, in the city.

Another man shot by paratroopers on the day died four months later.

While many consider him the 14th victim of Bloody Sunday, his death was formally attributed to an inoperable brain tumour.

President Higgins will deliver a recorded message to the Bloody Sunday families on Sunday.

The president’s message will be shown publicly during the commemorative event Beyond the Silence, which will take place before a limited audience in Guildhall Square.

Protests over mask wearing take place at two Mayo schools

It is believed that a peaceful protest took place outside two primary schools in Westport, Co Mayo this morning.

The placard holding peaceful demonstrators were questioning why children in primary schools must continue to wear masks as Covid-19 restrictions generally have been eased around the country, the Western People reports.

School management said both protests came as a surprise to them, and were not organised in association with either school.

Meanwhile, Tipperary Independent TD Mattie McGrath has made a plea to the Taoiseach to remove the mask wearing requirement for children in schools.

He said masks are "unnecessary" and "uncomfortable" for many children.

The measure is expected to remain in place until at least the end of February. Micheál Martin said the advice will be kept under review.

“The advice was to maintain the existing protocols around safety in our schools and in so doing to protect children whilst the opportunity for children to get vaccinated continues.

“We will keep that matter under review.”

Read More

Want us to email you top stories each lunch time?

Download our Apps
© BreakingNews.ie 2022, developed by Square1 and powered by PublisherPlus.com