Video: Investigation launched into Cherry Orchard incident, row over pension plans

video-news
Share this article
Kenneth Fox

Cherry Orchard incident

Garda Commissioner Drew Harris has called an incident in which a Garda car was rammed by another vehicle in Dublin “disgraceful” and said a full investigation is under way.

A clip of the incident, which was widely shared on social media and messaging apps, was taken in the Cherry Orchard suburb in west Dublin.

The incident took place at 7.30pm on Monday evening.

Gardaí said they were responding to reports of dangerous driving in the area when they witnessed two vehicles being driven erratically and which later failed to stop when asked to do so.

Pension plans

The Taoiseach has accused the Sinn Féin leader of “not telling the truth” about the changes being made to the State pension.

Micheál Martin told the Dáil people become “anxious and worried” when politicians tell “bare-faced lies”.

Advertisement

The Fianna Fáil leader made the comments in response to Mary Lou McDonald who claimed the Government was trying to move the pension age to 70 “by stealth”.

Social Protection Minister Heather Humphreys on Tuesday announced a tiered pensions' system that will come into effect in January 2024, where people can draw down their State pension at any point between 66 and 70.

Cost-of-living rally

Members of the public are being urged to take part in a rally this weekend to demand the Government do more to tackle the cost-of-living crisis, which is “crushing” families and households.

A demonstration, organised by the Cost of Living Coalition, will take place in Dublin on Saturday.

The group, which is made up of 30 organisations including trade unionists, student and pensioner bodies and opposition political parties, will urge the Government to take radical action on the cost-of-living and housing crisis.

The coalition is holding the protest this weekend ahead of the Government’s budget on Tuesday.

Guilty plea

A 38-year-old father of four has told the State that he is to plead guilty to wilfully assaulting and ill-treating his three-year-old son in an incident last year.

At Kilrush District Court today, the man was sent forward for trial to the next sittings of Ennis Circuit Court after the Book of Evidence was served in the case.

Solicitor, Joseph Chambers for the accused told Judge Mary Larkin “can you note on the return to trial judge that my client has indicated a plea of guilty and this has been notified to the State already”.

Sandy Hook

A defiant Alex Jones has made an appearance outside a Connecticut court, declaring his innocence despite already being found liable for spreading the lie that the 2012 Sandy Hook school massacre was a hoax.

A jury has been hearing evidence for a week to determine how much Jones must pay the families of eight victims and an FBI agent who was among the first to respond to the shooting that took the lives of 20 first graders and six educators.

Jones arrived at the courthouse at about 9.30am, accompanied by one of his lawyers and repeated declarations he made last week on his Infowars web show that the proceeding is nothing more than a “show trial”.

Read More

Want us to email you top stories each lunch time?

Download our Apps
© BreakingNews.ie 2022, developed by Square1 and powered by PublisherPlus.com