Video: Attack on teenage girl, retrofitting grant plans and Minister's apology

video-news
Share this article

Attack on teenage girl

A man aged in his 30s has been arrested following an attack on a teenage girl in Co Cork on Monday.

The alleged assault took place in Fermoy at approximately 1.20pm. It is understood the 16-year-old girl had been walking alone when she was attacked by two people.

A number of young people reportedly intervened when they heard the girl screaming and the assailants fled the scene by foot.

Retrofitting grant plans

The Government has approved a plan to cover up to half of the cost of deep home retrofits.

Households will be able to benefit from grants of up to €25,000 under the scheme valued at €8 billion out to 2030.

There will also be schemes to pay for up to 80 per cent of the work on smaller projects, such as attic insulation and cavity wall insulation.

Minister apologises over cost-of-living comments

Advertisement

A junior Government minister has apologised after saying that people should “shop around” and look for alternatives rather than “complaining” about the high cost of living.

Seán Fleming, the junior finance minister, told RTÉ's Drivetime that his net income is around €1,000 a week but that his advice was applicable regardless of income.

In a statement following the interview, Mr Fleming said he “did not intend to imply people shouldn’t complain about the cost of living.”

Defence Forces lockdown gathering

Approximately 40 Defence Forces personnel are understood to have attended a social event at the headquarters of the Defence Forces' Covid Taskforce during a time when Covid-19 restrictions limited outdoor gatherings to 15 people.

Minister for Defence Simon Coveney has ordered an external review into the matter. His department confirmed the review will be conducted by a senior counsel.

The event took place at McKee Barracks in Dublin on June 25th, 2020, with Defence Forces personnel, including officers, in attendance, military sources said.

Domestic abuse strategy

Minister for Justice Helen McEntee has said her aim is to have "potentially more" than 400 refuge beds under a new strategy to combat violence against women.

The strategy will be published on February 17th when it will be open to consultation from the sector and the public for three weeks, she told RTÉ Radio’s Morning Ireland.

At present, there are 140 refuge beds in the country with no refuge in nine counties. “We need multiples of that,” Ms McEntee said.

Sligo aggravated burglary

Gardaí in Sligo are renewing their appeal for information on an aggravated burglary, which has left a man in a critical condition in hospital.

Thomas Niland (73) is on life support in hospital following a serious assault in his home in Skreen, on the evening of January 18th.

Mr Niland suffered serious head and upper body injuries when three men broke into his home and stole a small sum of cash.

Read More

Want us to email you top stories each lunch time?

Download our Apps
© BreakingNews.ie 2022, developed by Square1 and powered by PublisherPlus.com