Video: AIB reverses cashless decision, man dies following Louth crash

video-news
Share this article

AIB reverse plan for cashless branches

AIB has confirmed it will not proceed with its decision to remove cash services from 70 of its 170 branches across the county.

The bank said over the last five years there has been a "dramatic increase" in the use of digital banking services, with a 36 per cent decline in cash withdrawals from ATMs and a 50 per cent fall in cheque usage.

However, the bank acknowledged on Friday that it's decision has caused "customer and public unease", and the bank has decided not to continue with the proposed cashless plans.

Man (20s) killed, woman in critical condition following collision in Louth

A young man has been killed in a two-vehicle road traffic collision in Co Louth which has also left a young woman in critical condition.

Gardaí attended the scene of the crash on the N33 at Richardstown, Dunleer at approximately 5am on Friday.

Advertisement

A man, aged in his 20s, who was the front-seat passenger in one of the vehicles, was pronounced dead at the scene.

His body has since been removed from the scene and taken to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda where a post-mortem examination will be carried out at a later date.

The woman, also in her 20s, was the driver and sole occupant of the second car. She has been taken to the Mater Misericordiae University Hospital in Dublin were her condition has been described as critical.

EU launches fresh legal action against UK over Northern Ireland Protocol

The European Union has launched fresh legal action against the UK for failing to comply with the post-Brexit Northern Ireland Protocol.

Four new infringement procedures were triggered by the European Commission as relations further soured on Friday.

The EU argued it was forced to act because the UK has been unwilling to take part in “meaningful discussion” over the protocol since February.

It also struck out again at the controversial Northern Ireland Protocol Bill that is making its way through Parliament, which the bloc says breaks international law.

Laois man jailed for sexually abusing young daughter

A Laois man who sexually abused his young daughter over a four-year period has been handed a ten-year prison sentence.

Patrick Shiels (66) sexually abused and orally raped his daughter Marlene Prakash-Shiels when she was aged between four and eight, during visits to his home between September 2000 and December 2004.

The Central Criminal Court had previously heard that Ms Prakash-Shiels wished to waive her right to anonymity.

Shiels was found guilty of oral rape and four counts of sexual assault on various occasions between September 2000 and December 2004 at his then address in Togher, Portlaoise, Co Laois following a retrial earlier this year.

Read More

Want us to email you top stories each lunch time?

Download our Apps
© BreakingNews.ie 2022, developed by Square1 and powered by PublisherPlus.com