Waterford announce plans for first LGFA county board-owned grounds

sport
Waterford Announce Plans For First Lgfa County Board-Owned Grounds
Waterford's Karen McGrath talks to her team before their clash against Kerry in the Division 2 National League Final in 2019. Credit ©INPHO/Bryan Keane
Share this article

Digital Desk Staff

Waterford Ladies Gaelic Football Association have announced plans to develop an 11 acre site outside Dungarvan, the first such grounds to be entirely owned by a ladies' football country board in the country.

The site will include a state-of-the-art pitch, stand, running track and dressing rooms, with work expected to begin this summer.

The greenfield site, which is beside the Waterford Greenway at Ballinroad, will provide facilities for ladies football clubs and county squads, reducing their reliance on GAA facilities around the county.

The development will be funded by the sale of development land nearby, 70 per cent of which will go to Waterford LGFA and the remaining 30 per cent will go to local club, Kilgobinet GAA.

Secretary of Waterford LGFA Edel Curry said the Waterford LGFA field development sub-committee are delighted to see the plans coming to fruition.

Advertisement

"This will be the first such freehold facility nationally, and we firmly believe that it will be a key driver for the greater development of the entire area in terms of sporting, social and economic advancement.

"Ladies Gaelic Football is the fastest growing sport in Ireland today and our facility will be the first of its kind. The youngsters who will benefit from this will be our stars of the future and hopefully bring continued All Ireland glory," Curry said.

Read More

Want us to email you top stories each lunch time?

Download our Apps
© BreakingNews.ie 2021, developed by Square1 and powered by PublisherPlus.com