Sligo withdraws from Connacht semi-final following positive Covid-19 tests

Sligo Withdraws From Connacht Semi-Final Following Positive Covid-19 Tests
Sligo's Michael Gordon and Paul Mc Namara with Antaine Ó Laoi of Galway last year. This year's match hangs in the balance. Photo: INPHO/Evan Logan
Share this article

Sligo’s withdrawal from its Connacht football semi-final with Galway this weekend was confirmed shortly after midnight on Wednesday due to an outbreak of Covid-19 in its squad.

It was reported on Tuesday evening that a number of the Sligo squad were isolating having tested positive for Covid-19, while others had been deemed close contacts.


After confirmation that seven members of the Sligo panel had tested positive for Covid-19, it was understood that several more players from the squad were tested on Monday evening and were then awaiting those results.

The statement released just after midnight said: “Sligo GAA have taken the tough decision to withdraw from this weekend’s Connacht SFC semi-final versus Galway.

“Paul Taylor and his management team along with the panel of 32 players have been working together since September. Due to the unforeseen circumstances of players testing positive for Covid-19 and other players deemed as close contacts, makes it impossible for Sligo to fulfil the fixture.

The players themselves are hugely disappointed at not having the option of a re-fixture


"The county board executive along with the players and management are extremely upset at having to make this decision.

“The players themselves are hugely disappointed at not having the option of a re-fixture and feel the outcome has been forced on them, whilst understanding that in these unusual times it is not possible to take part this coming weekend.

“All affected by Covid-19 findings are following the requisite HSE guidelines and we are glad to report doing well at this time.

“Sligo GAA have informed GAA officials at Croke Park and Connacht GAA of this regrettable but correct decision.”


Earlier, a statement from the county board said: “Sligo GAA wish to confirm that a number of members of the Sligo football panel have unfortunately returned a positive Covid-19 test.”

At the time, county officials said they were liaising with Croke Park and Connacht GAA regarding Saturday’s proposed game in Salthill.

Sligo’s match was to be the first of the semi-finals, with the second semi-final between Roscommon and Mayo set for Dr Hyde Park on Sunday. With the Connacht final then scheduled for Sunday week, November 15th, there is no apparent room for any postponement, as already outlined by Croke Park, unless the following game is a fortnight away.

While Croke Park has been adamant that counties would have to forfeit games given the tight schedule, there are three weeks from the Connacht football final to the All-Ireland semi-finals, which may yet allow for some room for a postponement.

Read More

Message submitting... Thank you for waiting.

Want us to email you top stories each lunch time?

Download our Apps
© 2023, developed by Square1 and powered by