Six Nations: Scotland triumph over England for first time in 38 years

Six Nations: Scotland Triumph Over England For First Time In 38 Years
Scotland have beaten England 11-6 in their Guinness Six Nations match at Twickenham. Photo: PA Images.
Share this article

By Press Association

Scotland have beaten England 11-6 in their Guinness Six Nations match at Twickenham.

Scotland pulled off just their fifth win at Twickenham and their first since 1983 courtesy of a gritty second-half display to prevail.


Both Russell and Stuart Hogg missed second-half penalties, but the visitors still hung on for a historic victory.


Former England Under-20s team-mates Ollie Lawrence and Cameron Redpath went head to head as England hosted Scotland in the Six Nations at Twickenham.

Worcester powerhouse centre Lawrence earned his fourth cap, while Sale playmaker Redpath made his Test debut.

Redpath, the son of former Scotland scrum-half Bryan, had previously been part of Eddie Jones’ senior England set-up but was never capped by making an appearance.

The 21-year-old was lured into the Scotland ranks by head coach Gregor Townsend and duly made his international bow squaring up to his former England age-group centre partner.


Early lead

Finn Russell slotted a penalty straight in front of the posts to put Scotland into a 3-0 lead.

Profligate England conceded four quick penalties and were marched continuously backwards as a result, with fly-half Russell eventually posting the opening points.

Billy Vunipola was sin-binned for a high tackle in the 23rd minute, with England paying the price for major indiscipline.

The hosts continued to leak penalties at will, with Scotland putting the squeeze on Jones’ men.


Scotland finally punished England with a try for Duhan Van Der Merwe in the 30th minute, with the wing finishing a smart counter-attack on the left.

Hooker George Turner held his nerve in the 13 channel to feed Van Der Merwe out wide, but the wing still had a lot of work to do to finish and powered home in style.

Russell missed the tough touchline conversion but Scotland still led 8-0.

Russell and Van Der Merwe had only minutes earlier botched a fine opening when the fly-half’s crossfield kick bounced too high and eluded the winger, who was wide open and would have scored had he fielded the chip.

Owen Farrell finally had England on the board in the 33rd minute, with the home skipper slotting a penalty.

Scotland still led 8-3 heading into the closing stages of the half however, with England desperately untidy in all aspects of play.

Scotland fly-half Russell was sin-binned for a trip on England scrum-half Ben Youngs in a blow to the visitors losing their main playmaker.

Farrell slotted the resulting penalty to cut Scotland’s lead to 8-6.

Yellow card

Scotland clung to their 8-6 lead until half-time, but Townsend’s men would have to negotiate the majority of Russell’s yellow card when the teams returned after the interval.

Scotland started the second-half the stronger though, riding out the remainder of that sin-binning before extending their lead.

Russell returned from his yellow card and his first meaningful act was to slot a penalty to put Scotland 11-6 ahead.

Read More

Message submitting... Thank you for waiting.

Want us to email you top stories each lunch time?

Download our Apps
© 2023, developed by Square1 and powered by