Tottenham have been dealt an injury blow with the news that Gareth Bale is out for a “few weeks” with a calf injury.
The Wales international sustained the problem in last week’s Carabao Cup quarter-final win at Stoke and boss Jose Mourinho has said he will have a spell on the sidelines.
It brings further disruption to Bale’s return to north London, which has been stuttering at best following his fanfare comeback in September and robs Mourinho of another attacking outlet for an important run of games, starting with Fulham on Wednesday.
Mourinho confirms that Gareth Bale asked to come off at half-time as he was feeling an injury. #THFC #COYS
— Jonathan Veal (@jonathandveal83) December 23, 2020
Brazilian duo Carlos Vinicius and Lucas Moura are also expected to miss out against the Cottagers following their unexplained absences for Sunday’s 1-1 draw at Wolves.
“I don’t expect him to be fit and also I have my doubts that Lucas and Vinicius can be fit for Fulham,” Mourinho said. “I wouldn’t say it’s serious but I’d say a few weeks (for Bale).”
The lack of attacking options will increase Mourinho’s reliance on Harry Kane during a period where games are coming thick and fast.
With those three out, the importance of Tanguy Ndombele has been highlighted and he put in a man-of-the-match display against Wolves, where he scored the goal and was a key player in transitioning defence to attack.