Youth charged over fight on Dublin's South William Street last week

ireland
Youth Charged Over Fight On Dublin's South William Street Last Week
Darragh Mooney (18) of Marewood Grove, Ballymun, Dublin pictured leaving the CriminalCourts of Justice in Dublin on Wednesday. Photo: Collins Courts
Share this article

Tom Tuite

A fourth man has been charged in connection with a fight on Dublin's South William Street in which a restaurant worker was badly cut in a glass attack.

Darragh Mooney, 18, of Marewood Grove, Ballymun, Dublin was granted conditional bail after he was charged with violent disorder during the incident at around 9.30pm last Thursday.

Video footage emerged on social media of two groups of men fighting on the street.

Garda Alan Manning objected to bail due to the seriousness of the case when Mr Mooney appeared at Dublin District Court on Wednesday.

He told Judge Flann O’Brennan it was alleged the incident began after a group surrounded a female and “blew smoke in her face.” Restaurant workers came to her aid and an altercation took place.

Punches and kicks were thrown and one of the restaurant workers was attacked with a glass bottle, causing a laceration to his upper arm which resulted in surgery.

Witness interference

Advertisement

The garda feared witness interference because the accused knew where the injured party worked. The worker suffered a “serious laceration to the upper arm”, he said.

He agreed with defence solicitor Paddy McGarry that his client had known gardaí were looking for him, and he did not flee.

The garda did not accept that the accused allegedly had a minor role and said that Mr Mooney was “heavily involved from the start to the finish”.

Video news
Video: 'Final call' on reopening, fishing trawlers...
Read More

Mr McGarry submitted that his client would obey conditions. He was not working but has started a course and wanted to become an electrician, the solicitor said.

Judge Brennan granted bail in his own bond of €500, but added conditions that Mr Mooney must stay out of the Dublin 2 area where the incident happened, sign on once a week at Ballymun Garda station and have no communication with witnesses or co-defendants.

He was ordered to appear in court again on July 7th next.

Three men, aged 18, 20 and 23 were charged last Friday in connection with the same incident and their cases were adjourned.

Read More

Want us to email you top stories each lunch time?

Download our Apps
© BreakingNews.ie 2021, developed by Square1 and powered by PublisherPlus.com