Fatal stabbing boy can be named again as court ordered lifted

ireland
Fatal Stabbing Boy Can Be Named Again As Court Ordered Lifted
Josh’s grieving mother Dianne Dunne, wearing a hoodie with a picture of her son and his football team number 11 on the back, said she was relieved at the decision as she left the courthouse.
Share this article

Tom Tuite

The identity of a teenager, who died after a stabbing in Dublin in January, can now be published following the lifting of a court order.

Schoolboy Josh Dunne, who was aged 16, and from Coultry Green, Ballymun in Dublin, was injured in the East Road area, in East Wall in the north of the city, on the night of January 26th.

Josh Dunne was a talented footballer, who played for St Kevin’s and Bohemians football clubs

The talented footballer, who played for St Kevin’s and Bohemians football clubs, was rushed to the Mater Hospital, but was later pronounced dead.

Delivery cyclist George Gonzaga Bento, who is from Brazil, but has lived and worked in Dublin for several years, was charged with murder.

He was remanded in custody on January 30th following his first district court appearance.

In April, he was further charged with assaulting to two other youths in connection with the same incident.

Seventh hearing

Advertisement

The accused, who had lived in East Wall, faced his seventh hearing when he appeared via video-link before Judge Victor Blake at Cloverhill District Court today.

He listened to the proceedings with the aid of an interpreter. A book of evidence was not yet ready, Detective Sergeant Shane Noone told Judge Blake.

Explaining the delay, a State solicitor said it was in drafting, and that it was a very large file with 313 statements.

A four-week adjournment was sought by the prosecution.

In reply, defence counsel Niall Storan told the court that the same was said at his client’s previous hearing on May 6th last. Mr Bento has been in custody since the end of January and was not consenting to a four-week adjournment, counsel added.

Judge Blake remanded him in continuing custody to appear again in two weeks instead, and said every effort should be made by the prosecution to have the book of evidence ready.

A Court of Appeal ruling last year held that the anonymity provisions of the Children Act also applied to child victims in fatal offences.

Since January 30th, the media could not identify Josh, as a result of the appeal court decision, and an order made by the district court at Mr Bento's first hearing.

Amendment

An amendment to allow deceased child victims to be named once again came into effect on May 7 last.

In cases where specific orders remain, applications have to be made to the courts by media organisations or relatives in each case to lift those orders.

Today, responding to a media query in relation to the order, Judge Blake noted the amended law now applied, and he said there was no longer a restriction going forward.

Josh’s grieving mother Dianne Dunne was in the public gallery as the judge lifted the order.

Wearing a hoodie with a picture of her son and his football team number 11 on the back, she said she was relieved at the decision as she left the courthouse.

Read More

Want us to email you top stories each lunch time?

Download our Apps
© BreakingNews.ie 2021, developed by Square1 and powered by PublisherPlus.com