Bangladesh condemns US attack in which citizen is the suspect

Bangladesh's government has condemned an attack on New York City's subway system, as it emerged that the suspect is an immigrant from the South Asian nation.

"Bangladesh is committed to its declared policy of zero tolerance against terrorism, and condemns terrorism and violent extremism in all forms or manifestations anywhere in the world, including Monday morning's incident in New York City," the government said in a statement.

Police in Bangladesh said on Tuesday that they were not in a position to comment on the suspect, identified by US authorities as Akayed Ullah, a 27-year-old Bangladeshi immigrant.

Suspect identified by US authorities as Akayed Ullah, a 27-year-old Bangladeshi immigrant.

Ullah is accused of strapping a crude pipe bomb to his body and detonating it during rush hour Monday in an attack in which only he was seriously wounded.

Ullah arrived in the United States in 2011 and the Department of Homeland Security said he was a lawful permanent resident of the US who was living in Brooklyn.

He went to the US on a visa issued to him based on a family connection to a US citizen.

Law enforcement officials said Ullah had looked at Islamic State group propaganda online and told investigators he was retaliating against US military aggression, but had no direct contact with the group.

Police at the scene of yesterday's explosion.

Ullah's family in the US said in a statement that they were heartbroken and deeply saddened by the suffering the attack has caused.

Bangladesh, a Muslim-majority country governed by largely secular laws, has struggled with a rise in radical Islam over the last few years.

Over the last year, the government has reinforced a crackdown to crush Islamist militants and killed dozens of suspects.


 

Most Read in World