Latest: Man charged over death of Aldi worker

Update 9pm: A man has been charged with murder after a supermarket worker was stabbed to death in an aisle at work.

Jodie Willsher was attacked at an Aldi in the UK yesterday.

Jodie Willsher with her husband Malcolm and her young daughter

Her husband Malcolm has since described the 30-year-old as "lovely and warm", and always having a smile on her face.

"She was amazing, beautiful and a lovely person. She was a doting mother and a loving wife," he added.

North Yorkshire Police said the 44-year-old man will appear at York Magistrates' Court on December 23.

North Yorkshire Police said Mrs Willsher suffered multiple serious injuries and was taken by ambulance to hospital for emergency treatment, where she later died.

Colin Breslin, UK regional managing director at Aldi, said she was a "much loved and popular colleague", and that they are all deeply shocked and saddened by her death.

Matthew Barnes, chief executive of Aldi UK and Ireland, said: "Everyone at Aldi is heartbroken by this devastating news. Our deepest sympathy goes to Jodie's family, friends and colleagues.

"We are doing everything we can to support our people and all those affected during this difficult time."

Officers investigating the death have appealed for a man in his sixties or possibly older, who restrained the suspect, to come forward.

Described as wearing a flat cap and a lighter and darker two-tone walking-type jacket, the force said he was the first person to try to intervene and was involved in a sustained struggle with the suspect.

Officers said it is believed he was shopping with a lady with short, light brown hair who was wearing a light-coloured, possibly grey, jacket - and that they both appear to have left the store before emergency services arrived.

The town council's mayor Andy Rankine said those who live in Skipton are "in shock and grieving" over the loss of Mrs Willsher.

Floral tributes to Mrs Willsher have been left at the edge of the police cordon around the store in Keighley Road, which is closed until further notice while police continue their investigation.

One man, who did not want to be named, laid down flowers describing Mrs Willsher as an "absolutely lovely person".

"There's so many people she knew, so many people affected by it. It's shocking, an absolutely lovely person, never do any harm to nobody," he said.

"She idolised her daughter. She put a snap on Facebook yesterday of her with her daughter cuddling in bed before she went to work.

"Nobody should ever go to work and not come home."

Jodie and Mal Willsher, via Facebook

Earlier: A supermarket worker who was stabbed to death in an aisle at work was a "bubbly, lovely girl", well-wishers have said.

Customers pinned down the suspect after Jodie Willsher, 30, was attacked at an Aldi in Skipton, North Yorkshire in England, on Thursday afternoon.

A 44-year-old local man was being questioned on suspicion of murder on Friday morning.

Mrs Willsher was married to Mal and their daughter is at primary school.

He changed his profile picture on Facebook to show the couple smiling together.

The town council's mayor Andy Rankine said: "Skipton is a small but close-knit community where most people know each other. We are in shock about the sad events of yesterday where a store worker was murdered whilst going about her duties.

"The whole town is in shock and grieving over the loss of Jodie.

"Christmas this year will an ordeal for many residents."

People left tributes on a community Facebook page, saying "she was such a happy, friendly person", while another described her as a "bubbly, lovely girl".

One wrote: "Horrendous, so tragic for her family and for those who witnessed this barbaric act."

Another customer said she had seen Mrs Willsher earlier that day wearing a Christmas jumper at work.

One shopper who was in the store at the time of the attack said she had "never been so scared in my life".

The witness, who asked to remain anonymous, heard "loads of screams" then saw the victim lying on the floor and a man pinned down as "everyone screamed and ran up and down".

She said: "I just saw the aftermath. I was so scared I ran off. All the staff were racing about, not knowing what to do."

Paramedics were called to the store in Keighley Road but Mrs Willsher died despite their efforts.

North Yorkshire Police said the incident was not terror-related or believed to be a hate crime.

Most Read in World