UCD need last-gasp goal to secure Collingwood Cup

Mark Boland was the hero as his last-minute winner secured University College Dublin their 43rd outright Collingwood Cup at the expense of the University of Limerick in torrid conditions at the Mardyke.

Garbhan Coughlan put the Shannonsiders ahead with a thunderous strike early on, but after weathering a heavy first-half storm, the Dubliners equalised in the second through Georgie Kelly, before Boland stole the game at the end.

UCD made one change heading into the game with semi-final substitute Colm Feeney in for Gareth Coughlan. UL meanwhile welcomed back Garbhan Coughlan in attack having recovered from a knock sustained against Trinity the previous day.

Any questions over his fitness were quickly put to bed as he smashed home arguably the goal of the tournament to put the Munster outfit into the lead.

A long ball by captain Jonathan Hanafin found the onrushing Coughlan who, sensing UCD goalkeeper Niall Corbet off his line, rifled an early volley past the helpless custodian from the edge of the box.

Coughlan was in confident form, and had Dan Tobin in a knot before having his shot saved by a solid Corbet before Andrew Walsh had to be weary as Tom O'Halloran's shot dipped just over the crossbar at the other end just past the half-hour mark.

UCD netminder Corbet was being kept busy, with a fine save to deny Oisín McMenamin's low drive, but could only watch as Brian Nolan's long-range effort smashed off the crossbar before a nervy UCD eventually cleared.

Eventually the Dublin outfit survived to the break, and after stemming the Limerick tide after the resumption they managed an equaliser in the 54th.

A whipped cross from the left was missed by Walsh, Gareth Coughlan's shot was scrambled away on the line, but Georgie Kelly was on hand to head home the equaliser.

Coughlan was looking a constant threat and Corbet had to be alive to paw his free-kick wide before sub Ian Fletcher seized on a defense error to fire a vicious half-volley just over.

At the other end Kelly should have doubled his tally, but couldn't hit the target with only the keeper to beat.

UCD had a fantastic chance for a winner two minutes from time when Barry Hooton's headed over from Conor Maguire free. However in the end it mattered little, as in the final minute of regular time a deep cross deflected off Hannafin and Boland was there to smash the ball home from 20 yards out.

Earlier in the day host University College Cork's campaign ended with success, as they made light work of DCU in the Farquhar Cup final at the Farm.

Sean O'Callaghan scored twice in the opening quarter-hour, with Daniel Barry intersecting with a goal of his own.

The Dublin outfit managed a consolation thanks to Chris Mcanely on the hour mark, but the revival was short lived and Evan Browne added a fourth just before the final whistle.

UCD: N Corbet; D Tobin, M Kougon (R McLoughlin 45), T Dent, S Coyne; G Couglan, T O'Halloran (M Boland 70), G O'Neill, J McClelland; T Molloy; G Kelly.

UL: A Walsh; A O'Connor, P O'Connor, A Cowper (B Hooton 62), J Hanafin; A McGrath, C Maguire, B Nolan (I Fletcher 68), O McMenamin; J Collins, G Coughlan.


Most Read in Sport