Roma beat Limerick to SuperLeague title

Limerick Lions 74 (35) Roma St Vincent’s 104 (45)

Roma St Vincent’s have stayed true to their recent good form to win their 7th league game in a row and take the 2006 NIVEA for Men SuperLeague title for the first time since 1994.

All eyes were on Roma’s Jermaine Turner after he inspired the Dubliners to a superb victory over reigning league champions UCC Demons in the semi-final yesterday, 79-90.

Limerick Lions were their opponents today after they overcame Merry Monk Ballina yesterday, 74-80, in the second semi-final.

Turner was on fire once more from the tip-off. He opened the game with a slam dunk after a steal in the opening minute.

A brace from Limerick’s Robert Taylor got his team off to a good start. The quarter remained tight and with three minutes to go the score was 17-17.

A two from Eoin Darling followed by a three from McFarland put Vincent’s in front 17-22 with two minutes left.

Limerick’s Jon Steven answered with two points of his own, while Robert Lynch chipped in two free throws with 43 seconds left, and the score read 21-26.

Roma’s Turner popped in another two with 27 seconds left but Taylor managed a two on the buzzer to cut the gap to three points at the end of the first, 23-26.

Vincent’s dominated the second quarter. Turner repeated his first-quarter opener with another dunk in the opening minute, followed by another four points soon afterwards.

Ger Myles offered up a three-pointer to keep the Lions in touch but when James Donnelly was introduced to the game in the fifth minute of the quarter he instantly reminded the crowd of his talent.

A big three from the youngest brother put the Dubliners 30-36 ahead with five minutes to go.

Turner chipped in six consecutive points followed by another three from James Donnelly to put 13 points between the sides, 32-45 with 47 seconds to the break.

Smart play by Lions’ Robert Taylor resulted in him on the line shooting three free throws as the buzzer went and he cut the lead to 10 points, 35-45, at the interval.

Jon Steven had a good start to the third quarter, bagging five points including a three in the opening three minutes.

McFarland on the other side was doing well and he answered with four points of his own. James Donnelly was again on target from the arch, rolling in his third three of the game to make the score 43-52 with eight minutes in the quarter.

A nine-point run from Vincent’s ensued, which saw an impressive back-door pass from McFarland to James Donnelly, who finished beautifully, and with 5.37 left, the Dubliners had stretched their lead to 18 points, 43-61.

Ger Myles added three free throws, which captain David Donnelly soon cancelled out by bagging a three-pointer seconds later and yet another two minutes later.

By the end of the third quarter, Vincent’s looked in no danger as they led 51-78.

The final quarter was a forgettable one for the Lions. Vincent’s continued to dominate the scoring stakes while the Lions were in foul trouble.

Two technical fouls called on Robert Lynch sent him to the bench with five fouls and six minutes of play still to go.

Simon Flynn was doing well for Roma, adding six points to his teams tally. Joey McGuirk was also on fire, driving well and drawing fouls, which he converted from the foul line.

Despite desperate attempts from Limerick, and Robert Taylor in particular, their dream of the title was nowhere in reach.

Roma St Vincent’s ran out more-tha- deserving winners, 74-104, after an outstanding weekend of action from the Dublin side.

Most Read in Sport