Mayo claim victory with four goals in eight minutes

Four goals in an eight-minute spell from Mayo's Danny Kirby was the highlight of the day in the Connacht FBD League as Mayo, Leitrim, Galway and Sligo claimed victories this afternoon.

Kirby's quarter of goals was the difference between the sides at Ballinrobe as James Horan's Mayo charges recorded a 4-11 to 0-11 win over GMIT.

The Castlebar Mitchells teenager registered all four goals in the opening half, as the stunned students were let trailing by 4-6 to 0-4 at the interval.

Conor Mortimer registered three of Mayo's opening four points, with debutant Conor O'Shea adding a further point as the hosts led by 0-5 to 0-0 early on.

GMIT opened their account in the 10th minute through Galway's Johnny Ryan, but after Peadar Gardiner opened up a 0-6 to 0-3 advantage, Kirby's goal onslaught followed to ensured a 4-6 to 0-3 lead after 28 minutes.

Ryan (0-5), Wicklow's Diarmuid Cronin, Mayo duo Aidan Walsh and Niall Prenty along with Galway's Patrick and Cathal Sweeney and Leitrim's Eoin Ward all registered second half points for the students.

In the other Section B encounter at Ballinamore, a 44th minute penalty goal from James Glancy helped Leitrim beat Roscommon on a 1-8 to 1-5 scoreline.

The hosts raced into an early 0-5 to 0-1 lead, but a Ger Henegan goal brought Roscommon into contention.

Donal Shine kicked three second half points for the visitors, but Glancy's penalty goal after Ray Cox was fouled by Michael Higgins; paved the way for a home victory.

In Section A, London suffered their second defeat in the competition in as many days after losing to NUIG on Saturday night. Galway inflicted a 1-15 to 0-8 defeat on the Exiles at Duggan Park in Ballinasloe this afternoon.

Galway builty a comfortable 0-9 to 0-3 interval lead, with Cormac Bane (0-3), Michael Martin, Nicky Joyce (0-2 each), Eric Monahan and Michael Boyle (0-1 each) registering the hosts' first half scores.

Wind-assisted London upped their game in the second half and just five points separated the sides with 10 minutes remaining. However, Martin added 1-3 to his tally in the second half including a late penalty goal.

Sligo ran out double scores winners - 1-9 to 0-6 - over IT Sligo at Enniscrone in their encounter this afternoon.

Sligo led by 0-6 to 0-2 at half-time, with Jonathan Davey netting the game's only goal in the second half. Paul Garvey struck half of the students' tally with three points.



Galway 1-15 London 0-8, Ballinasloe

Sligo 1-9 IT Sligo 0-6, Enniscrone


Mayo 4-11 GMIT 0-11, Ballinrobe

Leitrim 1-8 Roscommon 1-5, Ballinamore

Most Read in Sport