Galway GAA to investigate alleged breach of Covid-19 restrictions by club

GAA authorities in Galway are to look at a possible breach of Covid-19 restrictions after receiving correspondence from one of the clubs involved in the senior hurling relegation battle.

Galway county chairman Pat Kearney said that an investigation had not been launched at this stage but that the matter would be discussed at the weekly Competitions Control Committee meeting this Monday night.

He confirmed that correspondence had been received from the Kinvara club who are now scheduled for a relegation play-off with Leitrim/Kilnadeema after losing to neighbours Beagh at the weekend.

It is believed that at the centre of the crux is a Beagh player who is based in the United States and who came home to play in their group matches.

He featured in their group games in July and August. Beagh drew with Athenry but ended up in the relegation round robin when they lost to Killimordaly and Ardrahan.

It is understood that Kinvara have asked the Galway authorities to examine whether the player returned to the United States after the pool games and whether he quarantined for two weeks as per Covid-19 restrictions before playing in Saturday’s relegation play-off.

Beagh beat Kinvara by 3-13 to 1-13 and have avoided the relegation play-off on scoring difference.

“We have got correspondence from Kinvara on Sunday and we have our weekly CCC meeting this Monday night and that correspondence will be discussed at it and it will move on from there,” said Mr Kearney.

“That is where it stands, there is no investigation set up yet or anything like that. It will be discussed tonight,” he added.