DCU take Sigerson Cup

DCU 2-17 NUI Maynooth 0-7

DCU captured their third Sigerson Cup title in seven years thanks to a comfortable 2-17 to 0-7 win at Pearse Stadium this afternoon.

Dublin trio Paul Flynn, Dean Rock and Eoghan O'Gara were the stars of the show for the victors, scoring 1-11 between them with Flynn claiming a 34th minute goal.

DCU had led by 0-6 to 0-4 at the break, with Craig Berrigan, Michael Newman and David Dalton keeping NUI Maynooth in touch.

DCU hit six first half wides, while Maynooth's scoring chances were limited although they did manage to force the only goal chance of the opening half when Na Fianna clubman David Quinn played through Paul Cahillane who was denied by Michael Boyle in the 22nd minute.

However, John Divilly's Maynooth side were held to just three second half points as the more experienced DCU outfit took control on the restart.

Half-time substitute David Kelly of Sligo netted DCU's second goal in the 47th minute to push his side 2-14 to 0-6 clear.

It came from the quick thinking of Rock who played a free in to Kelly who, on his first game back from injury, fired the ball past NUI Maynooth goalkeeper Shane Connolly.

Laois' Colm Begley and Michael Newman traded scores, before this game turned very defensive with both teams standing firm at the back.

The presence of substitutes Kelly and Michael Murphy of Donegal added greatly to the DCU attack, with Gary Sweeney and Murphy snatching points for the Dublin team late on.

After the game Westmeath’s Kieran Gavin accepted the cup for DCU, while Paul Flynn captured the man-of-the-match award.

DCU: M Boyle; P McMahon, K Gavin, E Culligan; N Collins, J Cooper, J McCarthy; F O'Shea, C Begley (0-1); P Flynn (1-3), D Rock (0-4, 0-1f), D Keenan (0-2); J Brady, E O'Gara (0-4), A McFadden.

Subs used: D Kelly (1-1) for Brady (31 mins), M Murphy (0-1) for Keenan (40), G Sweeney (0-1) for Rock (48), R Hennelly for Boyle (54), F O'Curraoin for O'Gara (57).

NUI Maynooth: S Connolly; K O'Brien, K Lynch, D Dalton (0-1); T Moolick (0-1), J McDermott, S Denvir; C Berrigan (0-1), C Brophy; P Cahillane (0-1), S Hurley, C Mullins; M Newman (0-2, 0-1f), D Quinn (0-1), J Califf.

Subs used: S Fahey for Califf (34 mins), T Johnson for Denvir (38), D Quinn for Berrigan (45), W Ryan for Lynch (49), P Og O'Griofa for Mullins (54).

Referee: Joe McQuillan (Cavan).

Most Read in Sport