As 512 new cases were identified in the State from Saturday to Tuesday, the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) issued emergency recommendations to Government.
Following a full Cabinet meeting on Tuesday to discuss the recommendations, the new restrictions applying around the country until at least September 13th are as follows.
- All home gatherings are limited to six people from three households.
- Outdoor gatherings are limited to groups of 15 people, down from 200.
- Indoor events are limited to six people, down from 50, except for religious services and businesses such as shops and restaurants which are subject to different rules.
- Weddings are exempt from the new measures, meaning they can go ahead with gatherings of 50 people.
- Restaurants, cafes and bars serving food can remain open but must close at 11.30pm.
- Gardaí will be given greater powers in order to police social gatherings in pubs, restaurants and at private house parties.
- All businesses should facilitate remote working where possible and workers are being urged to work from home where possible.
- People are advised to avoid public transport for all but essential journeys.
- People from different households travelling in the same car have been asked to wear face coverings.
- Arrangements for school transport will proceed as planned.
- Covid-19 testing at airports will be randomised, while locator forms will go electronic this week. Follow up calls for people isolating will also be increased.
- All sporting events are to be held behind closed doors.
- No spectators are permitted to attend sporting events and there must be strict avoidance of social gatherings before and after events.
- Sports training can continue following the current public health guidelines.
- People over the age of 70 are being asked to limit social interactions, avoid public transport and to shop during designated hours.
- Those over 70 or with vulnerable health conditions should avoid hotel stays, acting chief medical officer Ronan Glynn has also advised.
The new guidelines will come into effect immediately and remain in force until September 13th at the earliest.
The Government has said it will publish a roadmap for "resilience and recovery" before September 13th which will plan out how the country will live with the virus.