Teenager alleged to have raped 15-year-old girl against wall in Cork suburb

A 15-year-old girl was raped against a wall in a yard at a suburb in Cork city by an 18-year-old, it was alleged at the opening of his trial at the Central Criminal Court today.

The complainant was 15 – almost 16 – at the time of the disputed incident on the night of March 24, 2016.

A jury of nine men and three women was sworn in to hear the case before Mr Justice Paul McDermott at the Central Criminal Court sitting in Cork today.

Prosecution senior counsel Alice Fawsitt outlined the anticipated evidence in the trial but told the jurors that this outline was not itself evidence.

The accused, who is now aged 21, pleaded not guilty to a charge of rape where it is alleged he had sexual intercourse without the girl's consent or where he was reckless as to whether or not she consented.

The prosecution senior counsel said the complainant was staying that night in a friend’s house and she and her friends were at a shopping centre and then went to a small, local shop and bumped into the defendant whom she knew through other people. The complainant got a naggin of vodka on the night.

She ended up chatting with him and the others went off to get food. The two of them went to a yard.

“He asked her for a kiss. She did not want a kiss. He kissed her. He goes in to the yard. She follows him. They are behind a white van. He keeps asking for a ‘feek’, which she understood to be sex. She said no,” said Ms Fawsitt SC. She said the accused was getting a bit angry and that he got into a parked car and got out again holding a metal bar.

“She backed away. She stumbled. He put her up against a wall. He held her hands. He pulled down her trousers. He pulled down her knickers,” Ms Fawsitt said, adding that was when the alleged sexual contact took place.

The senior counsel said the complainant was crying by the time she met her friends. The friend she was staying with that night told her own mother what allegedly happened and she told the complainant’s mother. The gardaí were notified and an investigation commenced within 24 hours, Ms Fawsitt said.

The case continues.

Most Read in Ireland