Man jailed for sexual assaulting woman at bus stop

A man who sexually assaulted a stranger at a bus stop by “slapping her ass” after he had taken a cocktail of drugs huras been sentenced to two and a half years in prison.

Paul O’Shea (aged 26) faces further sentencing later this year for separate charges of threatening to slit the throats of his former partner and one of her colleagues.

O'Shea, of Sillogue Avenue, Ballymun, said he slapped the woman in a “moment of madness”.

He pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting her on Shanard Avenue, Santry on October 30, 2009 and has been registered as a sex offender.

Passing sentence at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, Judge Patricia Ryan said although O'Shea was making progress with his drug addiction in custody, he was still on cannabis.

Because of this continuing use of illicit drugs, she adjourned sentencing on the second case and ordered an updated probation report.

O'Shea was sentenced to two and a half years in prison for sexual assault, backdated to February 20, 2013.

The court heard the woman had been on her way to DCU when O’Shea came up behind her, reached forward and “groped her with one hand between her legs, her bum and her vagina”.

Detective Adrian Mulligan told Gerardine Small BL prosecuting, that O'Shea ran away but was identified on CCTV footage.

After his arrest he told gardaí he saw the woman walking by the bus stop and "slapped her ass" and ran away.

O'Shea has 48 previous convictions including sending indecent messages by telephone, assaulting a garda, threats to kill, robbery, theft and burglary.

Luigi Rea BL, defending, said O’Shea began taking drugs at age of 16. He suffered from depression and at the time of the assault was using “large quantities of steroids".

Separately, O'Shea pleaded guilty to threatening to kill or cause serious harm to his former girlfriend Louise Jackson and one of her colleagues, Stephen Preston, on January 2, 2013.

Garda Clare Delaney said O'Shea had been in a relationship with Ms Jackson for six years and they had a child, but she broke up with him when he told her he was charged with sexual assault.

Ms Jackson told gardaí that she had been in O'Shea's house but that when she went to leave, he said she wasn't going anywhere and threatened to “punch the head off her”.

Ms Jackson was terrified and tried to leave, but O'Shea threatened to “slash her face” with a piece of glass and later to “slit her throat” with a knife he took from a drawer.

He accompanied her to the shop and she spotted a break in traffic and ran across the road to Ballymun Garda Station.

O'Shea took Ms Jackson's phone, rang one of her work colleagues, Stephen Preston, and told him he was going to “slit his throat”.

A victim impact statement for Louise Jackson said her depression and anxiety had worsened and she had become more nervous.

Sandra Frayne BL, defending O'Shea, said her client had taken benzodiazepines, methadone and cannabis on the day and had severe anger management issues.

Judge Ryan said it will be a condition of any sentence imposed that O’Shea stay away from both victims.

Most Read in Ireland