Latest: Conor McGregor released on $50,000 bail and ordered to appear in court in June

Update 9pm: Conor McGregor has been released on $50,000 bail and order to appear in court again in New York on June 14th.

He appeared in court today charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief following an incident at the Barclays Centre in New York on Thursday.

The UFC champion appeared in court alongside fellow fighter Cian Cowley, who was released on a $25,000 dollar bail after also being charged with assault.

Update 4.30pm: Conor McGregor's former trainer Philip Sutcliffe has defended the UFC star amid his arrest in New York today.

Speaking on RTÉ Radio 1's Liveline programme, Sutcliffe said: "I hope it was a cunning plan, rather than Conor losing the head. It's after working, he has every paper in the country with his face on the front it.

He has everyone all around the world talking about it. I hope it's a cunning stunt on Conor's behalf and I hope he comes out smelling of roses.

Conor McGregor is led by an official to an unmarked vehicle while leaving the 78th Precinct of the New York Police Department today. Photo: AP Photo/Julio Cortez.

McGregor was detained following an incident at the Barclays Centre in New York on Thursday after he had earlier been stripped of his UFC lightweight title. He is due to appear in court today.

Sutcliffe went on to say that while money changes everyone, McGregor remains "the same man" and said he hopes that the fighter still has the integrity of his early years.

"Plans don't always go as planned," he said.

"There's always three sides to every story and the truth is in the middle."

You can listen to the full interview here:

Update 12.15pm: Conor McGregor's former sparring partner and two-time world champion fighter Paulie Malignaggi says the Dubliner is struggling to stay relevant.

He said: "This wasn't about gamesmanship, this was about putting on a show to keep himself relevant.

"He's a bit too exciting when he does those things.

"The past six months have been very disrespectful to the people he's done this with."

McGregor has been a flamboyant presence on the sporting scene and divided opinion in Ireland.

The alleged trouble erupted at a UFC media day.

Beforehand, he had been stripped of his UFC lightweight title.

Update: 9am: UFC champion Conor McGregor has been charged with assault in New York.

He is due to appear in court later on Friday, US police said.

McGregor was detained following an incident at a UFC media day in Brooklyn on Thursday. The 29-year-old had earlier been stripped of his UFC lightweight title.

A New York Police Department spokesman said: "He (McGregor) has been charged with three counts of assault and one of criminal mischief."

He added that 25-year-old Cian Cowley, also a mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter, from Hyde Park, Dalkey, has been charged with assault.

Earlier: Conor McGregor in police custody in New York

Conor McGregor is in police custody in New York.

A New York Police Department spokesman said charges would be filed later.

An Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) statement said a vehicle that contained a number of athletes competing at an event taking place this weekend had been "vandalised".

It added: "The organisation deems today's (Thursday) disruption completely unacceptable and is currently working on the consequences that will follow."

The alleged trouble erupted at a UFC media day.

Beforehand, McGregor, 29, had been stripped of his UFC lightweight title.

He has not fought in the UFC for more than a year but lost to former professional boxer Floyd Mayweather in a money-spinning bout last August.

McGregor has been a flamboyant presence on the sporting scene and divided opinion in Ireland.

An NYPD spokesman confirmed the Irishman was in police custody.

He added: "No formal charges have been filed yet but they will be filed after 7 o'clock (12 pm BST)."

The incident happened at the Barclays Centre in the Brooklyn borough of New York City.

People had gathered to promote a competition headlined by Khabib Nurmagomedov and Max Holloway.

The UFC added: "NYPD was immediately alerted and is currently in the process of investigating the situation.

"UFC is working very closely with the New York Athletic Commission, Barclays Centre security and law enforcement authorities.

"All parties are working together to ensure the highest standard of proper safety precautions are implemented to protect the fans and athletes."

KEYWORDS: Conor McGregor, NYPD

 

Most Read in Ireland