Gardai investigating Eddie Hutch murder seeking to make arrests abroad

Gardaí are seeking to arrest a number of people based outside of Ireland in relation to the murder of Eddie Hutch.

Mr Hutch (aged 58) died of gunshot wounds to the head after he was shot dead at his home at Poplar Row, Ballybough, Dublin 3 on February 8, 2016.

Gardaí have completed 1,203 actions in relation to the ongoing investigation, Dublin Coroner’s Court heard.

Two relatives of Mr Hutch sat in the public gallery as Inspector Aidan Flanagan applied for a 12-month adjournment of the inquest.

Insp. Flanagan told the coroner that 493 statements had been taken to date and Gardaí have made nine arrests.

“We have completed 1,203 investigative tasks in relation to this case. There are still a number of tasks to be completed. There are a number of arrests yet to be made, some of whom reside outside the jurisdiction,” he said.

The inquest was previously opened and adjourned after a brother of the deceased, John Hutch, gave evidence of the identification of Mr Hutch's body.

John Hutch told how he attended the Dublin city morgue to identify his brother’s body on February 10, 2016.

“I was shown my brother Eddie in the morgue. I am 100 per cent certain it’s my brother,” he said in his deposition.

The inquest was further adjourned last March for six months following a garda application as the investigation continued.

A post-mortem examination carried out by State Pathologist Professor Marie Cassidy confirmed the cause of death as gunshot wounds to the head.

Coroner Dr Myra Cullinane asked family members if 12 months was agreeable to them and they said it was. The coroner offered her condolences to the family and granted the application, adjourning the inquest until September 3, 2019.

Most Read in Ireland