Latest: Local media reporting terrorists in Cambrils had knives and axes; police believe they shot driver of Barcelona van

    What we know so far:

  • The first attack began shortly after 5pm local time (4pm Irish Time), when a white Fiat van sped through Las Ramblas in Barcelona.
  • At least 13 people were killed and more than 100 were injured as the driver ploughed into people along a 500 metre stretch of the pedestrianised area.
  • The driver then fled, leaving a scene of widespread panic, with crowds running in waves away from the area.
  • Citizens of 24 countries were among those killed and injured in Barcelona including one Belgian national confirmed to have died.
  • Police made four arrests in connection with the incident.
  • Eight hours later terrorists strike again, this time in Cambrils, a coastal town and resort 68 miles down the coast from Barcelona.
  • In the second attack, a gang wearing fake suicide belts rammed civilians with a car before being shot dead by police.
  • Seven people including a police officer were injured in Cambrils. Of the six civilians caught up in the Cambrils attack, two were said to be in a serious condition. A woman has since died in hospital.
  • Four of the attackers were shot dead at the scene and a fifth died later of his injuries.
  • Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the Barcelona attack, the deadliest in Spain since more than 190 people died in the 2004 Madrid train bombs.

Update 9.45pm: Local authorities said they have identified six of the victims of the Barcelona attack.

One is Italian, one is Portuguese, three are Spanish and one is Spanish-Argentine.

The victim of the second attack in Cambrils on Friday morning has been identified as a Spanish woman.

Update 9pm: Spanish police were said to be hunting for four men in connection with the attacks, including Moussa Oukabir, who is suspected of using his brother's documents to rent the van which ploughed through pedestrians.

But a union official for Spain's Civil Guard told the Associated Press that police had confirmed Oukabir was one of five suspected terrorists killed in Cambrils.

His older brother, Driss Oukabir, is reported to be one of those arrested following the attack.

According to French media, police are also looking for a white Kangoo vehicle which is believed to have been rented by the suspects and could have crossed the border into France.

Moussa Oukabir.

Update - 2.31pm: Local media are reporting that the terrorists in Cambrils carried axes and knives and were also wearing false explosives.

Before being shot, they wounded a person in the face.

Four of the dead men have been identified. They were aged 21, 27, 28 and 34.

Three were Moroccan and one was Spanish, and police said none of them were previously known to the security services for terror-related reasons.

But Catalan regional police official Josep Lluis Trapero told reporters the fifth man had not yet been identified.

He also revealed that police had yet to identify the Barcelona driver and said: "It could be one of the people shot in Cambrils, but we don't know yet."

Update - 2.06pm: One of the five terrorists killed in Cambrils could have been the driver of the van which killed 13 people in Barcelona, police said.

Update - 12.47pm: Catalan police have said thay have arrested a fourth person in connection with the terror attack in Barcelona.

Update - 11.41am: A 14th person has died following the terror attacks in Spain.

A woman died in hospital on Friday, hours after being injured when a car carrying five men wearing fake suicide belts ploughed into pedestrians in Cambrils, a coastal town 70 miles south west of Barcelona, local police said.

King Felipe of Spain, second from right, and Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, third from right, arrive for a minute of silence in memory of the terrorist attacks victims in Las Ramblas, Barcelona, today.

Barcelona, a hugely popular tourist destination, came to a halt at noon today (11am Irish Time) as a minute's silence was observed in the Placa Catalunya, close to the scene of the attack.

Led by King Felipe and Spanish prime minister Mariano Rajoy the silence was then followed by applause for the victims.

Three days of mourning have been declared by the government of Catalonia.

Emergency services in Barcelona have released a list on Twitter showing where the dead and injured are from, Ireland is on the list.

Update - 11.26am: Spanish police and security services have said they are hunting an 18-year-old Moroccan suspected of being involved in the Barcelona terror attack yesterday.

They have named him as, Moussa Oukabir, and he is said to be Driss Oukabir's younger brother who handed himself in to police in Ripoll claiming his ID card had been stolen.

The Spanish newspaper, El Periódico, has reported that Driss had claimed his brother Moussa had stolen his ID, according to sources in the local town hall.

Driss Oukabir.

The ID card was reported to have been found on Las Ramblas at the scene of the attack.

Update - 10.19am: Catalonia's regional head Carles Puigdemont has told local radio there was at least one "terrorist still out there", but that "we don't have information regarding the capacity to do more harm".

It was not clear whether the terrorist he referred to was the van driver.

Update - 9.58am: There are reports that investigators believe an eight-strong terror cell may have been planning an attack using gas canisters.

Reports in Spain suggested detectives were investigating a possible cell of eight people thought to have been involved in planning the attacks.

Two suspects, a Spanish national from Melilla and a Moroccan, were taken into custody in the wake of the attack. A third was arrested later.

It has not been confirmed if the Barcelona van driver, who fled the carnage, is among them.

Five terrorists wearing fake suicide belts have been killed by police following the Barcelona attack, while three suspects are in custody.

Update - 8.56am: Catalonia's regional head Carles Puigdemont told local radio that the attackers in Cambrils were wearing fake explosive belts.

Video of terrorists killed in Cambrils overnight.

Update - 7.59am: A third person has been arrested in connection with the Barcelona van attack, authorities said.

Catalonia interior minister Joaquim Forn told Catalunya Radio the suspect was taken into custody in the northern Catalan town of Ripoll.

WARNING: Graphic video below of the aftermath of yesterday's attack in Barcelona.

Update - 7.25am: Fitzroy Davies, from the UK, was caught up in the second attack in Cambrils and described how police shot dead one of the attackers.

Davies, from Wolverhampton, told the BBC he was in Spain for a judo camp and was in a meeting with the coaches when the incident unfolded.

A man loads an overturned car onto a platform at the spot where terrorists were intercepted by police in Cambrils, Spain, today.

"These girls ran into the bar off the street and then people were running up the road.

"One of our guys stood up, looked and just said 'run', so we all ran.

"This guy came running up the road and was shouting something.

"I didn't know what it was, so we said call the police.

"Within 30 seconds the police was already there, jumped out of the car, started shouting at the guy, the guy was then saying something else again.

"And then they 'pop, pop', did a couple of shots and he fell down.

"He stood back up and then he stepped over the fence and he started, he was taunting, smiling and he carried on walking to the police, and then they gave it to him again, a couple more shots and then he fell to the ground."

Earlier: Five terrorists wearing suicide belts rammed civilians with a car in a Spanish seaside town before being shot dead by police in a second attack to hit the country.

Seven people including a police officer were injured during the incident in Cambrils, hours after a rampaging van driver left 13 people dead and over 100 wounded in Barcelona.

Bystanders ran for their lives as a gunfire broke out close to the coastal town's beachfront promenade early on Friday morning.

Residents of the popular tourist spot were ordered to take cover indoors as bullets tore through the air and footage later showed several lifeless bodies on the ground.

In the wake of the carnage several controlled blasts were carried out in the area, with police later saying the attackers had been wearing explosive belts.

Mossos, Catalonia's police force, said four of the attackers were shot dead at the scene and later confirmed a fifth had died of his injuries.

Of the six civilians caught up in the attack two were said to be in a serious condition.

Investigators said they are working on the theory that the attacks in Cambrils and Barcelona, as well as an explosion in the town of Alancar on Wednesday, are linked.

A major manhunt for the suspected driver of the van that mowed down holidaymakers and locals in Barcelona, around 68 miles east of Cambrils, was continuing on Friday.

So far two people have been arrested over the attack that saw the Catalonia capital become the latest European city to fall victim to a major terrorist outrage.

Shortly after 5pm local time on Thursday a white Fiat van tore through Las Ramblas, a major tourist attraction packed with families and holidaymakers, in a horror described as "jihad terrorism" by the country's prime minister Mariano Rajoy.

The van drove on to the pavement, swerving among pedestrians in a crowded area, and was "clearly a terror attack intended to kill as many people as possible", senior police official Josep Lluis Trapero said.

The Islamic State terror group has claimed responsibility for the attack, the deadliest on Spanish soil since more than 190 people died in the Madrid train bombs in 2004.

According to the Catalan regional government citizens of some 24 countries were among those killed and injured, with one Belgian national confirmed to have died.

Here at home President Michael D Higgins says it was with great sadness that he learned of the tragic loss of life in Barcelona, while Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has condemned the attack describing it as "callous".

The Department of Foreign Affairs says it is monitoring developments and anyone with concerns about relatives or friends can contact the Irish Embassy in Madrid.

British Prime Minister Theresa May said she was "sickened" by the incident and the Foreign Office was trying to determine if there were British victims.

Authorities have warned that the death-toll may rise, with 15 people receiving treatment for serious injuries.

Driss Oukabir

Two suspects, a Spanish national from Melilla and a Moroccan, were arrested and taken into custody in the wake of the attack.

The arrests were made in the northern Catalan town of Ripoll and in Alcanar, the site of an explosion on Wednesday night which killed one person and is thought to be linked to the van attack, authorities said.

The whereabouts of the van driver were unclear after police said he made off unarmed.

There were also reports that detectives believe two vans were used, one for the attack and a second as a getaway vehicle.

Hours after Thursday's attack, police shot and killed a man who was in a car that hit two officers at a traffic blockade on the outskirts of Barcelona. However, Mr Trapero said it was not linked to the van attack.

Witnesses to the attack described how the van hurtled through crowds without slowing down, sending scores of people scattering and many taking shelter in nearby shops.

Lawyer and University of Glasgow rector Aamer Anwar told the Press Association: "I could see a woman screaming with her kids. People started running and jumping into shops.

"I ran for about 50 or 100 metres and stopped to see what was happening.

"The police were very quickly on the scene and getting people to move back."

Will Ako, 26, from London, was eating in a restaurant called Taller De Tapas with his family when they heard a disturbance.

He told the Press Association: "I then saw people running to the east of the restaurant and I saw a couple of people, about 30 yards down the road, crouching around what looked like someone on the ground and they were calling for assistance.

"Within a couple of minutes, police started to arrive and they were running west of the restaurant and some were telling us to stay inside.

"Soon after, loads of cars, bikes and ambulances arrived and then the armed police."

Mrs May said the UK "stands with Spain against the evil of terrorism" in the wake of recent attacks in Manchester and London.

"I am sickened by the senseless loss of life in Barcelona today," she said.

"The Foreign Office is working to establish if any British nationals were involved in this appalling incident and we are in close contact with the authorities in Spain, who have our full support."


 

Most Read in World