Galliano show cancelled as designer begins defamation case

The John Galliano Paris Fashion Week show has been cancelled.

The designer had been due to showcase the latest collection for his eponymous label in the French capital on Sunday but it has now been axed after it was announced he is to stand trial for alleged anti-Semitic remarks made last week.

Instead editors and buyers will be invited to view the new collection at a smaller scale presentation and he will not be in attendance.

However, the Christian Dior show will go ahead today as planned after the label sacked him from his role as creative director.

Earlier this week, it was revealed Galliano will face trial for his alleged anti-Semitic remarks after reportedly abusing a couple during a drunken rant in Paris.

The prosecutor's office in the city said a trial could take place between April and June this year and if Galliano is found guilty he could face six months in prison and fines of up to $43,000 (€30,796).

French law makes it a crime to incite racial hatred and as well as allegedly verbally abusing the couple, Galliano was filmed making anti-Semitic remarks during a night out in which he announced his love for Nazi leader Adolf Hitler.

Galliano - who has checked into an unnamed rehab facility - has spoken out about the incident and says he regrets the offence he has caused by his actions but claimed he was provoked during the incident and is taking legal action against the couple.

He said: "Anti-Semitism and racism have no part in our society. I unreservedly apologise for my behaviour in causing any offence.

"I was subjected to verbal harassment and an unprovoked assault when an individual tried to hit me with a chair having taken violent exception to my look and my clothing.

"For these reasons I have commenced proceedings for defamation and the threats made against me."


Most Read in World