Looks like Conor McGregor will be back in the octagon sooner than we thought

Reports suggest Conor McGregor could be back in the octagon in as little as eight weeks, as part of UFC197 in Las Vegas on March 5.

Conor McGregor defeated Jose Aldo in 13 seconds in December to become the UFC Featherweight Champion.

Mmafighting.com are reporting that the Crumlin star will fight in the main event, but he won’t be defending his featherweight title.

Instead, he will make the move up to lightweight, an increase of 10lbs, and challenge current champion Rafael dos Anjos for his title.

After becoming featherweight champion in December, McGregor said his next goal was to hold two titles simultaneously.

And comments made by UFC boss Dana White earlier this week suggested it was a real possibility.

“Conor has said he would like to win the 155-pound belt and fight four times a year and defend both belts,” White said on UFC Tonight.

“If anybody can do it, Conor McGregor can. This guy has done pretty much everything he said he would do, so I'm interested.”

The reports suggest the McGregor-Dos Anjos fight would be the co-main event, with Holly Holm making her first bantamweight title defence in the other big fight, against Miesha Tate.

KEYWORDS: Conor McGregor, UFC.

 

By Grainne McGuinness

Most Read in Sport