Courses hope for warmer weather

Haydock and Taunton officials are keeping their fingers crossed for the predicted overnight thaw to materialise ahead of their fixtures on Friday.

Haydock have called an 8am inspection while Taunton will look at 7am in the morning after a widespread icy blast claimed all jump racing in Britain yesterday and today.

Racing could not have taken place at the Merseyside track today because the course is frozen, but milder weather has been forecast.

“We could not race today as the ground is bone hard and there is thick fog,” said clerk of the course Kirkland Tellwright.

“However, there is a thaw forecast tomorrow so we will give the weather a chance to show its hand.

“It is odds-against at the moment for the meeting to go ahead but we will keep our fingers crossed and give it every chance.”

Taunton racecourse secretary Bob Young issued an upbeat weather bulletin ahead of their seven-race card, which commences at 12.50.

“We are frozen today obviously but all the forecasts we have are suggesting the thaw will start at 7pm tonight followed by rain at midnight,” he said.

“It could be as high as four to seven (degrees) at 7am, rising rapidly to about nine.

“So if they’ve got the forecast right we are laughing.

“We haven’t had any snow yet which is another worry but I don’t think it’s a major concern here, more likely the prospect of rain.”

There are no reported problems on the all-weather at Lingfield, who report standard going for their meeting on Friday.


Most Read in Sport