Woman in hospital after tent catches fire at Electric Picnic

An image of the scene. Picture: RTE website

A woman whose sleeping bag reportedly caught fire while she camped at the Electric Picnic festival is being treated for burn injuries in hospital.

Her injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

It is understood the fire broke out at around 5am in a tent in the Pink Moon campsite in Stradbally, Co Laois, after the man and woman staying in it lit candles before falling asleep.

The woman, who is believed to be in her late 30s, was transferred to Portlaoise General hospital for treatment before she was transferred to Dublin's St James' Hospital.

The male occupant of the tent was treated at the campsite for minor injuries and was also taken to the Midlands Regional Hospital in Portlaoise for treatment, but has since been discharged.

  • Click to stay connected with more stories like this
  • Sign up here to receive news by email. Once per day, no spam.

Most Read in Ireland