Trinity's historic gate to be restored this week
A newly restored Front Gate will be reinstated this week at Trinity College Dublin.
Trinity's Front Gate was severely damaged when it was hit by a car on the morning of April 2. The gates were removed for repair and restoration, and replaced with temporary wooden panels.
The Front Gate was erected in the early 1870s as part of on-going refurbishment that took place in the College, replacing the original 1759 gates.
The gate is made of oak, and the repairs have involved matching timber being used to repair damaged panels and the door posts, made to the same design. The entire gate was then stripped back to the raw wood, and re-finished in French polish.
It will be re-hung in seven different pieces this week. The entire process should be completed by Sunday.