Report delays completion of Moloney book of evidence19/09/2012 - 13:12:20
A pathologist's report has delayed the completion of a book of evidence in the case of a trainee mechanic accused of killing journalist Eugene Moloney who died after an incident in Dublin in June.
Mr Moloney, a former reporter with the Irish Independent, lived at Portobello Place on Dublin's south side and was making his way in the early hours of June 24 after a night out with friends.
The 55-year-old suffered a blow to the head on Camden Street; he received medical attention at the scene and was then rushed to St James' Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Gary Burch (21), of Kennington Close Templeogue, south Dublin, had been charged with the manslaughter of Mr Moloney at Camden Street, on June 24.
Mr Burch made no reply, and did not apply for bail when he was initially charged on June 26 last.
Dressed in a grey shirt and black trousers, he made his fifth appearance at Dublin District Court today.
A state solicitor told Judge Victor Blake that more time was being sought to complete the book of evidence in the case. A pathologist's report had yet to be received but it was hoped that progress would be made shortly, the judge heard.
Defence solicitor Con Pendred said he understood that there had been a difficulty with the medical report but he asked the court to note that Mr Burch has been on remand in custody since June. The defence consented to the case being put back for another four weeks and Mr Burch will appear again at the same court on October 17 next.
Dressed in a grey shirt and black trousers, the young man did not address the court during the brief hearing yesterday (WED) and has not yet indicated how he will plead to the charge.
Judge Blake said he was granting the State the time extension they sought to complete the book of evidence.
Journalist Eugene Moloney, who was from Donegal, had started his career in journalism with the Irish News in Belfast. He later relocated to Dublin where he worked for Independent newspapers for more than 20 years.
In 1987, he began reporting for the Evening Herald. He later moved to the Irish Independent and worked out of the paper's head office in Dublin, but had also reported extensively from the North at the height of the Troubles.
He had spent several years teaching English in Vietnam before returning to Ireland earlier this year and had been working as a freelance journalist.
more stories like this:
- once per day, no spam.