O’Sullivan: ‘Good progress’ made in Ballyfermot boy shooting probe

The acting Garda Commissioner has she is confident of making good progress in the investigation into the shooting of a child in Dublin.

Last Friday, a 6-year-old boy was shot while playing near his home at Croftwood Gardens in Ballyfermot.

It is been exactly one week since Sean Scully was shot in the neck.

It is believed he was caught in the line of fire as the gunman tried to shoot another man in the area.

The shooting resulted in a public outcry over gun crime in the capital and the Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald even expressed her horror in the Dáil earlier this week.

A week later the shooter remains on the loose. One man was arrested on suspicion of withholding information but he has since been released.

Speaking today however, the interim Garda Commissioner Noirin O'Sullivan said no stone would be left unturned in the pursuit of those responsible.

"It was an absolutely appalling crime, we have dedicated a lot of resources in terms of bringing the perpetrators to justice and I'm very confident that we'll make good progress."

"We're engaging very closely with the community in Ballyfermot and with the family of Sean. I'm very confident that we will make good progress in that investigation," said the interim Garda Commissioner.

Anyone with information is asked to contact their local Garda Station or the Garda Confidential Line on 1-800-666-111

  • Click to stay connected with more stories like this
  • Sign up here to receive news by email. Once per day, no spam.

Most Read in Ireland