Man charged with attacking garda at Swedish House Mafia gig to face trial
A man charged with attacking an off-duty garda at the Swedish House Mafia concert in the Phoenix Park in Dublin last year is to face Circuit Court trial.
Sean Hulgrain (aged 22), with an address at Thornfield Square Clondalkin, had been charged at Dublin District Court in October with assault causing harm to Wayne Keown, at the outdoor concert on July 7 which was attended by about 45,000 people.
Mr Hulgrain, who is on a disability benefit, made his third district court appearance today.
Judge Bryan Smyth was told that the DPP has decided that Mr Hulgrain, who is on bail, must face trial on indictment. This means his case will be heard at the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, which, on conviction, has wider sentencing powers.
Judge Smyth ordered Mr Hulgrain, who has not yet indicated how he will plead to the charge, to appear again on February 21 next when he is to be served with a book of evidence and returned for trial.
Several bail conditions were set earlier; Mr Hulgrain was told that he must continue to reside at his current address and notify gardaí of any change, sign on every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at Clondalkin Garda station, and not to have any contact “directly or indirectly” with the complainant or two named witnesses in the case.
The controversial event in the park also featured Tinie Tempah and Calvin Harris on its line-up.
More than 30 arrests were made on the night of the concert which was marred by a litany of incidents including public order offences, assaults and drugs seizures. Two men who had been at the concert also died after they fell ill.
On August 2, a Garda report into the events at the concert found that the Phoenix Park is not a suitable venue for “outdoor electric music concerts”.
The report also found that gardaí warned the music promoters MCD before the event that they had concerns about alcohol sales, gate opening times and stewarding.
Afterwards MCD criticised how An Garda Síochána policed the event and the number of their officers they had on duty at the concert.
Another man, aged 22, has already been returned for trial to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court accused of violent disorder at the concert and assault causing harm to a tourist from the Isle of Man who suffered multiple stab wounds.
- Sign up here to receive news by email. Once per day, no spam.