Judgement reserved in trial of two men accused of Roy Collins murder
The Special Criminal Court has reserved judgment in the trial of two men accused of the murder of Limerick businessman Roy Collins over five years ago.
Ms Justice Iseult O'Malley, presiding at the three judge court, said the court would give judgment in the case on July 15 next.
Wayne Dundon (aged 36), of Lenihan Avenue, Prospect and Nathan Killeen (aged 24) of Hyde Road, Prospect, pleaded not guilty to the murder of 35-year-old Roy Collins at Coin Castle Amusements, Roxboro Road Shopping Centre on April 9, 2009.
The non-jury court heard during the 29-day trial that Mr Collins was at work around noon that day when a gunman entered his amusement arcade and discharged a single shot, hitting him in the chest. He was conscious for a time, but his life could not be saved.
It was the prosecution case that Wayne Dundon directed the murder from prison, Nathan Killeen was the getaway driver and another man, James Dillon, was the gunman.
During the trial Mr Steve Collins, father of the victim, told the court that in April 2009 he was running The Steering Wheel pub and his son Roy was operating the Coin Castle Amusement Arcade. He said he had been running the pub for twenty two years , while Roy had been running the amusement arcade for about five years.
He said he left for work at 7.40 am with an armed escort as he had every day. His son Roy popped in for a chat around 11am and then left to open up the amusement arcade. Mr Collins said that around noon one of his barmen told him there was "a fellow bleeding next door."
He ran next door to the arcade and saw his son crouched on his knees holding himself. Roy said:"I'm after being shot Dad" and when he asked him did he see who shot him, his son replied :"No."
Mr Collins said he did his best to comfort his son and his son told him how much he loved him and his mother. Then the gardai and an ambulance arrived and Roy was taken to hospital.
- Sign up here to receive news by email. Once per day, no spam.