Garda to face trial on assault and theft charges
A Dublin-based garda, who denies claims he assaulted a man and stole money from him during an alleged incident last year, is to face trial in December.
The officer's trial comes following an investigation by the Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission (GSOC).
A complaint was initially made to GSOC in February and summonses were served on the officer who appeared again at Dublin District Court today.
In July, he had been granted an adjournment to allow him to consider his plea.
Padraig Dennehy, who is attached to Mountjoy station, in north inner city Dublin, is facing two charges arising out of an alleged incident on March 3, 2013.
It is claimed he assaulted a named male at Parnell Square West, Dublin, contrary to Section 2 of the Non-Fatal Offences Act, an offence which can, subject to conviction, carry a six-month sentence as well as a fine, and is confined to the jurisdiction of the district court.
His second charge is under Section Four of the Theft and Fraud Offences Act for the alleged theft of €6.25 from the same complainant. On conviction this can also result in a fine and a possible sentence.
The State had already complied with an order for disclosure of evidence so the defence could considerate it before indicating how the accused would plead to the charges.
The officer did not address the court when his case resumed today but his solicitor Liz Hughes told Judge John O'Neill that the application she was instructed to make was to ask for a hearing.
This means the allegations will be contested.
“It is estimated it will take a full day,” Ms Hughes added in relation to the trial.
Prosecution solicitor Michael Durkan, for the DPP, also said the State's evidence included CCTV footage and a courtroom with facilities to show it during the hearing was required.
Dressed in a striped shirt and black trousers, the officer was ordered to appear again in December when his non-jury district court trial will be take place.