Fresh charges brought against Anglo execs awaiting trial
Fresh charges have been brought against two former Anglo Irish Bank senior executives who are awaiting trial for Revenue offences.
Bernard Daly, aged 65, with an address at Collins Avenue West, in north Dublin, and 54-year-old Tiarnan O'Mahoney from Glen Pines, Old Long Hill Road, Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow, had originally been charged last November with four offences under the Taxes Consolidations Act.
And today, additional charges were brought against them when they made their second appearance at Dublin District Court where they were remanded on continuing bail for another three weeks while the State prepares books of evidence.
Mr Daly joined Anglo in 1999 having previously held a position in the Central Bank. He was appointed as Anglo's company secretary in 2003 and held that position until he resigned four years later.
Mr O'Mahoney was the bank's head of treasury from 1985 until 2005.
Anglo, which subsequently collapsed, was nationalised in 2009 before it was later re-branded the Irish Bank Resolution Corporation (IBRC) – now in special liquidation.
Their case has no factual connection with the trial of three former officers of the bank which commenced this week.
In November, Dublin District Court had granted an adjournment until today to allow the State time to complete books of evidence which have to be served on Mr Daly and Mr O'Mahoney.
The DPP has already directed “trial on indictment” meaning the case will go before a judge and jury at the Circuit Court.
However, the district court was told today that fresh charges have been brought against the two former bankers.
Detective Sergeant Gerard Doyle of the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation told Judge Conal Gibbons that Mr O'Mahoney made no reply when four further charges were put to him this morning.
Two additional charges have been brought against Mr Daly whom the court was told replied: “not guilty”.
Neither men addressed the court and Judge Gibbons was told by prosecution solicitor Tom Browne that a three-week adjournment was required to complete books of evidence.
Defence solicitors Michael Staines and Julie Burke consented and Judge Gibbons ordered the two men to appear again at the district court on February 27 next when it is expected they will be returned for trial.
In the first new charge it is alleged that between March 1, 2004 until the end of that year, when they were officers at Anglo Irish Bank Incorporated PLC, they conspired to destroy or falsify bank documents and the second charge is for conspiring to commit an offence under the Section 107.8 of the Taxes Consolidations Act 1997.
In two other fresh charges, put to Mr O'Mahoney only, it is alleged he conspired to defraud Revenue by attempting to delete a named account.
In the first set of charges brought against the two ex-bankers last November, it was alleged that in 2003, they concealed a named account; conspired to obstruct and interfere with an officer of the Revenue Commissioners; conspired to conceal from the designated officer an account Anglo was required to produce for inspection, and that they produced incorrect documentation.