Dublin City Council confirms permission for three of five Brooks dates
Dublin City Council confirmed today that only three of the five planned Garth brooks concerts in Croke Park have been granted permission.
The concerts planned for Friday 25, Saturday 26, and Sunday 27July were granted licences, subject to conditions.
A licence for two of the concerts, the following Monday and Tuesday, was refused on the basis of "the scale, magnitude and number of the concerts with an expected attendance of in excess of 80,000 people per night."
The Council also felt that the previous three-in-a-row run from 23-25 May, when One Direction performed, "is considered an over intensification of use of the stadium for the holding of special events/concerts."
A spokesperson for Aiken Promotions, the concert organisers, said : "We are very disappointed that Dublin City Council did not grant a licence for the five Garth Brooks concerts at Croke Park. "
They said a further statement would follow this afternoon.
Councillor Ray McAdam tweeted the news earlier this morning, but the reports were strenuously denied by Dublin City Council, who insisted that no decision had been made.
City Manager confirms to me that only three #GarthBrooks concerts will be permitted. More info to follow...— Cllr. Ray McAdam (@RayMcAdam) July 3, 2014
Meanwhile, a move of some concerts to the Aviva Stadium has not been ruled out – but a switch to Slane Castle is not possible, Henry Mountcharles said.
The City Council said it had received a total of 373 submissions from members of the public.