Child dies after swallowing Reebok bracelet

A child died from lead poisoning in America after apparently swallowing a link from a Reebok charm bracelet.

Thousands of the heart-shaped charm bracelets have been given away free by the sportswear firm with purchases of children’s footwear in the USA, UK and Ireland.

Now Reebok is rapidly recalling the gifts over fears that they contain high levels of lead, following the death of a four-year-old child in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

A statement on Reebok’s British customer helpline said: “Reebok is recalling approximately 145,000 metal charm bracelets which have been distributed in the UK and Ireland.

“This voluntary recall is being conducted because the bracelet may contain high levels of lead.

“Reebok is aware of the death from lead poisoning of a child who has reportedly swallowed a piece from one of these bracelets.”

The bracelets are eight inches long, made from silver-coloured metal and have the name Reebok engraved on the side of a heart-shaped charm.

The sportswear firm warned that the gift should be immediately taken away from children and advised British customers to call their helpline on 0800 305050.

  • Click to stay connected with more stories like this
  • Sign up here to receive news by email. Once per day, no spam.

Most Read in Ireland