Children treated in Cork for poisoning connected to e-cigarettes
It has emerged a number of children have been treated at a Cork hospital this week for poisoning connected to e-cigarettes.
The revelation has come from Dr Chris Luke, a consultant at the Mercy University Hospital emergency department.
Two children were treated after they presented at the hospital, having been poisoned by liquid nicotine.
The Irish Examiner's Claire O'Sullivan reports today that: "Liquid nicotine or e-liquid, it is believed, is absorbed far quicker than nicotine in tobacco and can poison somebody by touch alone."
Dr Luke said the contents of many e-cigarettes can be fruit-flavoured, which makes them tempting for children.
He urged people using e-cigarettes to take extreme care around children.
"Nicotine itself is very poisonous and potentially addictive...And the liquid in e-cigarettes is very caustic and burning if it gets onto your skin," he said..
"It's potentially very toxic for children in very small amounts, (as little as) half a teaspoonful."