18-year-old student dies in hospital after drug overdose
A teenager has died in hospital, five days after taking a synthetic drug called "N-Bomb".
The 18-year-old named locally as Alex Ryan from Old Coach Road in Millstreet, was one of a group who needed treatment after a house party in Cork city.
Of the six people hospitalised, five were released in the days after the event.
However, the sixth, 18-year-old Alex Ryan remained in a critical condition at CUH, and passed away today.
Through a HSE spokesperson, his family has appealed for privacy.
The group is believed to have taken the highly potent drug N-bomb at a party on Monday night, prompting a warning from the HSE to the public not to consume any unknown substances that they are offered.
Gardai have so far made one arrest.
A man who was arrested has since been released without charge, and a file is being prepared for the DPP.