Toddler has lucky escape after ingesting Spongebob

A doctor in Saudi Arabia was shocked after an x-ray revealed her patient, a 16-month-old toddler, had a SpongeBob SquarePants pendant wedged in his throat.

Dr Ghofran Ageely, who’s a radiology resident in Jeddah’s King Abdulaziz University Hospital, confirmed the boy had swallowed the object - which belonged to his sister.

Dr Ageely told Live Science of her reaction to first seeing the x-ray, “I opened the frontal view (off the x-ray) and was shocked. 'SpongeBob,' I screamed! I was amazed by the visible details.”

“You can see his freckles, shoes and fingers…amazing.”

Pic: Dr Ghofran Ageely/Radiopaedia.org

Doctors were later successful in removing the object from the boy’s oesophagus and the little one was sent home with his family.

As for SpongeBob - we presume he has gone back to his pineapple under the sea!

Read: ‘Zombie’ cat digs himself out of the grave after 'coming back to life'

By Shaun Cronin

Most Read in #Discover