Pooch lives after eating Christmas lights

Vets had to perform life-saving surgery on a dog after he swallowed one-foot of Christmas lights.

Fortunately for Charlie, a seven-year-old crossbreed canine, there was light at the end of the tunnel after he consumed the festive fairy illuminations thanks to surgeons from veterinary charity PDSA.

But his owner Sharon Fay - who happens to refer to the pet pooch as the "light of her life" - only realised crafty Charlie had eaten the lights when she saw pieces of wire sticking out of his poo.

She explained: "I hadn't even noticed that the lights had been chewed at this stage but it quickly became clear what had happened."

  • Click to stay connected with more stories like this
  • Sign up here to receive news by email. Once per day, no spam.