Charges dropped against Rhys-Meyers

Public order charges against troubled Hollywood star Jonathan Rhys-Meyers have been dropped before a court.

The State instead cautioned the actor who was arrested at Dublin Airport last month for being drunk and using threatening and abusive behaviour.

Meyers, who is grieving the death of his mother only two weeks ago, did not turn up at the court in central Dublin but, through his solicitor, accepted responsibility and apologised.

He was about to board a British Midland flight to London on Sunday November 18, having appeared as a guest on an Irish television chat show the night before.

The 30-year-old star of hit television series 'The Tudors' was charged at Whitehall Garda Station, close to the airport, under the Public Order Act but was later released on cash bail.

Garda Noel Barry told Dublin District Court that when cautioned on charges of being intoxicated in public and using threatening and abusive behaviour, the actor made “no reply”.

A solicitor for the Director of Public Prosecutions told Judge Angela Ni Chonduin the State did not wish to proceed with the charges, but would deal with the case through the adult cautioning scheme.

Michael Staines, solicitor for Meyers, accepted the caution on behalf of the Cork-born film star, who also offered to make a undisclosed donation to a charity, not named in court.

“My client, nonetheless, instructed me to say he absolutely accepts his behaviour was unacceptable and out of character,” said Mr Staines.

“He unreservedly apologises, in particular, to British Midland staff, to security staff and gardaí.”

Because no charges were brought by the State, Meyers escapes without any criminal record.

  • Click to stay connected with more stories like this
  • Sign up here to receive news by email. Once per day, no spam.

Most Read in Showbiz